About New York City Cyber Command
New York City Cyber Command (NYC3) was created in 2017 by Executive Order to lead the City’s cyber defense efforts, working across more than 100 agencies and offices to prevent, detect, respond, and recover from cyber threats. NYC3 is committed to protecting City infrastructure and critical systems from cyber threats, and helping residents become safer in their digital lives.
About the Position
The Application Security intern will assist with the day-to-day operations and ongoing development of NYC3’s application security program.
- Assist the Application Security team with the development and implementation of performance improvements across services and platforms
- Assist Application Security Engineers with software security assurance for cloud-based and homegrown solutions
- Support agency compliance with cybersecurity policies and standards, and the best software and data security practices
- Conduct research on topics related to secure software development lifecycle and developer security training
Eligibility Requirements for Summer Interns
- Will be enrolled full time during the Fall 2021 semester in an undergraduate or graduate degree program at an accredited institution
- Able to commit full time (35 hrs/week) for the full 12-week internship
- All internship applications must include a resume/CV and a cover letter in order to be considered. The cover letter should explain your interest in the position and why you are a good candidate. The cover letter should not simply repeat information available on your resume/CV.
Preferred Education, Skills, and Knowledge
- Pursuing a degree or coursework in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Analytics, Information Technology, Information Systems, Cybersecurity, or similar area
- Students pursuing non-technical degrees who have demonstrated knowledge in computer engineering, data science, or analytics are encouraged to apply
- Familiarity with software security and data privacy basics
- Familiarity with web/non-web/native mobile software programming technologies (Java, C#, java script, HTML and etc) structures and logic is a plus
- Familiarity with OWASP Top 10 is a plus
- Self-motivated with a commitment to learning and continuous improvement
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this opportunity will be remote. The internship is unpaid and interns must show proof of eligibility for academic credit or funding from their institution or authorized third party. The length of this internship will be no longer than 12 weeks.