ABOUT NEW YORK CITY CYBER COMMAND
New York City Cyber Command (NYC3) is committed to protecting City systems that provide vital services to New Yorkers from cyber threats, and helping residents become safer in their digital lives.
As the organization defending the largest municipality in the country, NYC3 is charged with directing citywide incident response, setting citywide cybersecurity policies and standards and working with city agencies to strengthen their cyber defenses.
NYC3’s Security Sciences Division is seeking a motivated Software Engineering Intern to support the Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team during the summer 2020 term. Our division has designed a cloud-platform to ingest, normalize, correlate, analyze, and present cybersecurity relevant data from across the City to support threat management activities. The SRE team is responsible for ensuring the availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, emergency response, and capacity planning of the data pipeline as well as associated services and platforms.
Under the supervision of the SRE Senior Director, you will help develop and maintain a secure, scalable, and cloud-native data processing framework that supports NYC3’s cybersecurity mission. Duties and activities of this position may include:
– Assist Cloud Reliability Engineers with the development and implementation of performance improvements across services and platforms
– Support incident management, service-level management, change management, release management, continuity management, and availability management for databases and data management systems
– Support the Data Science team in maintaining and improving the data pipeline using Apache Beam, Java, Python, and other data processing technologies
– Maintain information exchanges through publish, subscribe, and alert functions that enable users to send and receive critical information as required
– Assist with the administration of databases and/or data management systems that allow for the secure storage, query, protection, and utilization of data
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
All candidates must be enrolled in a degree bearing program at an accredited institution.
– Pursuing a degree or coursework in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Analytics, Information Technology, Information Systems, Cybersecurity, or similar area
– Students pursuing non-technical degrees who have demonstrated knowledge in computer engineering, data science, or analytics are encouraged to apply
– Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages, preferably Java or Python
– Familiarity with or exposure to cloud application development is a plus
– Familiarity with distributed data processing frameworks is a plus
– Self-motivated with a commitment to learning and continuous improvement
Due to the current COVID-19 crisis, this opportunity will be remote and unpaid.
Summer Internships are full time internships for students in degree bearing programs at an accredited institution. This classification of interns must show either proof of their university giving academic credit, or funding from their university or an authorized 3rd party.
The length of the internship cannot exceed 13 weeks and must take place between the start of June and the end of August. Students are required to work a minimum of 17 hours per week.
NYC3 will provide equipment for this internship period. The students will be required to have their own internet connectivity.