ABOUT NEW YORK CITY CYBER COMMAND
New York City Cyber Command (NYC3) is committed to protecting City systems that provide vital services to New Yorkers from cyber threats, and helping residents become safer in their digital lives.
As the organization defending the largest municipality in the country, NYC3 is charged with directing citywide incident response, setting citywide cybersecurity policies and standards and working with city agencies to strengthen their cyber defenses.
NYC3 Operations provides visibility and coordinated execution of organizational efforts by facilitating engagement with city agencies, elected and appointed leadership, residents and external partners.
Over the coming year, NYC3 Operations will look to provide our leadership with new ways of viewing actionable data and analysis on organizational performance to ensure we are being as effective as possible in our efforts.
Under the guidance of organization leadership, you will build tools and processes to help NYC3 leadership analyze ongoing operations, develop performance metrics and provide actionable recommendations to ensure the organization is effective in its mission and responsive to a changing cyber threat environment.
This is an exciting opportunity for an energetic candidate interested in helping to shape cybersecurity programs and policies for the City of New York.
Activities of the Cybersecurity Operations Intern will include, but are not limited to:
– Develop, maintain, and automate operational reports on key metrics, as well as any procedures for maintaining them over time;
– Create readable and informative data visualizations to communicate data insights to leadership;
– Use data to identify strategic opportunities to improve work product and operations;
– Turn questions from city leadership and agency partners into clear analytical problems, and solve them using data; and,
– Build repeatable processes and tracking mechanisms for organizational effectiveness in implementing various citywide initiatives.
– Assist with the automation and integration of the New York City Cyber Command (NYC3) Metrics Program. The program aims to provide actionable insights and risk indicators to internal and external stakeholders via Data Studio, Google’s data visualization tool.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
All candidates must be enrolled in a degree bearing program at an accredited institution.
– Pursuing a degree, preferably a masters or PhD, with concentrations and/or work experience in Data Science, Business, Public Administration or an equivalent area with statistical analysis course experience;
– Experience working in or with data analytics;
– A strong comprehension of and passion for information technology and/or cybersecurity;
– Excellent verbal & written communication skills;
– Demonstrated active listening and teamwork skills;
– Demonstrated experience working with others on challenging, complex initiatives and efforts;
– Outstanding collaboration skills;
– Strong attention to detail;
– Excellent organization skills;
– Exceptional critical thinking skills demonstrating support of executive decision making.
Due to the current COVID-19 crisis, this opportunity will be remote and unpaid.
Summer Internships are full time internships for students in degree bearing programs at an accredited institution. This classification of interns must show either proof of their university giving academic credit, or funding from their university or an authorized 3rd party.
The length of the internship cannot exceed 13 weeks and must take place between the start of June and the end of August. Students are required to work a minimum of 17 hours per week.
NYC3 will provide a computer for this internship period, students will be required to have their own internet connectivity.