Congressman Hakeem Jeffries District Office Internship Program offers college and graduate students the opportunity to learn about the United States Congress as well as the 8th Congressional District of New York, which includes portions of Brooklyn and Queens. The office is currently seeking committed applicants to intern at our Central and South Brooklyn District Offices in New York.
– Assist with office administrative tasks including, returning telephone calls, writing letters, preparation of special mailings and data entry.
– Assist staff during office sponsored in person and virtual events, such as Telephone Town Halls, Congress On Your Corner outdoor events and other district events.
– Learn how to conduct constituent service-related research, casework and advocacy (task concentration for students placed at South Brooklyn Office).
– Gain valuable knowledge on how a Congressional District Office operates.
– Effective and professional phone manner
– Computer experience & good typing ability
– Attention to detail
– Ability to follow instructions
– Ability to complete tasks efficiently and thoroughly
– Must be available during Office hours: Monday through Friday 9am-5pm
– Must be able to commit 15-20 hours per week for a duration of 15 weeks.
– Knowledge of a second language, such as Russian or Haitian Creole, a plus.
This internship is unpaid. The Office of Congressman Hakeem Jeffries will work with students seeking to obtain credit for their internship through their school or university or educational program.
Completed internship applications packets must include the following:
- coverletter (indicating dates, days and times available)
- writing sample (1-2 pages)
- Two job references (List must include name, relationship, phone number and email address)
No phone calls, please.