HUMAN RESOURCES & OPERATIONS INTERN
Organization Mission: Oliver Scholars prepares high-achieving Black and Latinx students from underserved New York City communities for success at top independent schools and prestigious colleges. We provide crucial support for our Scholars so they can realize their full potential and ultimately give back to the city, the nation, and the world.
Position and Summary Reporting:
Reporting to the Operations Manager and COO, the Human Resources & Operations Intern will directly assist the Operations Manager with a wide range of projects related to HR compliance, recruiting, onboarding/orientation, employee benefits, and volunteer intern programs. This internship is designed to be both educational and practical. In this position, the intern will learn how to take skills she or he may have acquired in school related to his or her particular areas of interest, and apply them in a professional setting. He or she will gain a better understanding of the role that Human Resources can play in a non-profit setting, and be better prepared to work in the arena of human resources and the nonprofit sector. The candidate will also have opportunities to network with the programs, finance, communications, and development staff.
- Responsible to research current best practices and initiatives regarding HR issues and provide recommendations on updates and /or improvements to policies and procedures.
- Assist in the development of employee training programs and delivery training as required
- Assist in the planning of company events with Staff Engagement Committee
- Steps in the recruiting and hiring process, including posting job openings, reviewing resumes, conducting telephone and in-person interviews, making job offers, and negotiating to starting salaries.
- The importance of employment law and compliance, especially regarding employment eligibility, confidentiality, proper maintenance of employee files, and forms management.
- The interrelationship of HR and Finance in the areas of new employee paperwork, payroll issues related to onboarding and termination, use of a payroll management database, and report generation.
- Employee benefits management issues related to planning renewal and open enrollment benefits enrollment and termination, troubleshooting employee benefits issues, and the customer service aspect of benefits oversight.
- Special projects as assigned
- Current or recent enrollment in a graduate or undergraduate degree program with an interest and aptitude to work in Human Resources, or non-profit management/administrative fields;
- Ability to prioritize tasks and handle numerous assignments simultaneously;
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Personable, able to comfortably and pleasantly deal with a variety of people
- Ability to effectively learn and acquire new knowledge and skills
- Detailed oriented
- Ability to share knowledge and work in a strong team-oriented environment
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Suite
- Takes initiative: Act on one’s own initiative; making the most of opportunities; undertaking tasks, even if it entails risk
- Analytical: Understands complex information; making connections; drawing conclusions
- Creative: Coming up with new ideas, approaches, or solutions
- Flexible: Manages to adapt if circumstances change
- Written communication: Is capable of communicating well in writing, even with people who communicate differently
- Monitors outcomes: Regularly checks whether work is on schedule
- Verbal communication: Understands others and being understood in verbal communication
- Teamwork: Work well with others and thrive in a team environment
- Integrity: Submits finished work-product that meets your own high standards
- Commitment to excellence: Strives to do deliver your best work-product
- Collaborative learner: Enjoy’s working with others to learn on the job
HOW TO APPLY
For consideration, please forward your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, “(Human Resources/Operations Intern)” – [your last name]” in the subject line of your email. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success. Oliver Scholars is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, citizenship status, or current employment status. Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply.