CPA Newsletter Accelerator Fellowship Program
The Colorado Press Association is hosting a newsletter accelerator program to help Colorado newsrooms improve their usage of email newsletters. In newsrooms and beyond, newsletters are increasingly viewed as crucial tools to build relationships with audiences and, directly or indirectly, grow revenue.
Journalists, journalism students and content marketers are invited to apply here for a 10-week Newsletter Accelerator Fellowship.
The fellowship will run from May 27 to August 5. Applications are due Friday, April 9. Requirements/expectations are below.
CPA will select up to three fellows for the summer session. Fellows will receive accelerated training on newsletter best practices from CPA and industry experts and will work with multiple newsrooms alongside CPA staff to help them launch or improve their newsletters.
Fellows will need to reside in Colorado and may be required to work in the CPA offices during part of the fellowship, depending on the state of the pandemic.
If you have any questions about the fellowship, reach out to Bay Edwards at email@example.com.
Benefits for fellows
- Learn about the strategy and logistics of email newsletters
- Hone your writing skills across a variety of formats
- Learn about new communities and their news information needs
- Learn about audience and growth
- Get paid ($15 per hour, 40 hours per week, 10 weeks—or $6,000 for the summer) while building your resume
Desired qualifications of fellows
- Strong writing ability, including the ability to write concisely and persuasively
- Ability to generate original content and to summarize existing content
- Curiosity and ability to learn quickly
- Dependability, including regularly checking and responding to email
- Strong communication skills (ability to interview subjects for newsletter content, etc.)
- One or two strong recommendations from a former supervisor, professor or other reliable source who can speak knowledgeably to the above skills. Recommenders should send a recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 9.
- Be available during regular business hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) whether working remotely or on-site
- Ability to work 40 hours per week and submit regular documentation of work.
- Reside in Colorado during the fellowship period
Responsibility of fellows
- Share what you learn with your newsroom, fellowship cohort and CPA
- Assist newsrooms with stages of development and maintenance of newsletters, including onboarding emails, welcome emails, etc.
- Measure revenue (if applicable) and track newsletter performance
- Monitor progress and work to reach goals set by newsrooms
- Assist with the organizing and formatting of newsletter and send in accordance with newsroom’s specified cadence
- Ensure newsletter content accurately reflects information with active links
- Ensure a consistent appearance and tone that strengthens publications’ digital presence
Colorado Press Association is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff, volunteers, programs, and partners. We encourage applicants of diverse abilities, backgrounds, and life experiences to apply. CPA is committed to equal employment opportunities and prohibits unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
About Colorado Press Association (CPA)
Founded in 1878, Colorado Press Association is a non-profit organization representing the interests of print and online news media through legislative advocacy, community outreach and member engagement throughout Colorado. CPA also owns and operates the Colorado Press Network, which works as a media-buying service for direct clients and agencies seeking efficient, streamlined and cost-effective solutions.