OPENLITERACY IS HIRING SUMMER WRITING TEACHERS!
OpenLiteracy is hiring four – five teachers to teach writing classes to students in grades 3-10. For many schools, writing instruction has been on the back burner this year. OpenLiteracy has a number of writing classes lined up for summer 2021, including 3-week and 6-week options for writers of all ages. Our classes are designed to remind students that stories live inside them while also connecting them to writing fundamentals including brainstorming, editing, revising, grammar, and word choice. Classes are intentionally small so that the teacher and students can grow as a writing community, have fun, feel seen, and improve their writing skills. You can learn more about each class at openliteracy.com/the-writing-lab
Founded in July 2013, OpenLiteracy designs and delivers innovative solutions to help ensure that every student educated in the United States, regardless of race or income, will be prepared for success in college, careers, and life. The OpenLiteracy project team is led by Sarah Scott Frank, a former professor of reading. Find out more about OpenLiteracy at www.openliteracy.com/about
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- College students who have a strong identity as a writer and who have had some experience teaching or working with others on their writing (e.g., in a high school or college writing center)
- Individuals who have familiarity with and enthusiasm for teaching through Zoom and are skillful in managing user participation
- Individuals with strong organization and communication skills
- OpenLiteracy is committed to building, elevating, and amplifying a more diverse community of teachers and tutors. People of color, individuals who identify as LGBTQIA+, and first generation college students are strongly encouraged to apply.
- You must be 18 years old and authorized to work in the United States
- Compensation is by class but works out to be over $20/hour. 3-week classes (meets 3x weekly, 9 class meetings) are paid $300; 6-week classes (meets 2x weekly, 12 class meetings) are paid $400. Teachers will be hired to teach more than one class section.
- You will be paid electronically via direct deposit using a tool called Gusto. Individuals must complete the W- 9 form and register with Gusto in order to be paid.
- This is a 1099 position with no benefits
- All teachers will complete two hours of training.
HOW TO APPLY
All applicants will apply using this Google form. Applicants will submit:
- An updated resume or a link to an up to date LinkedIn Profile
- A link to a short 2-3 minute introductory video where you talk about yourself and what class you are most interested in teaching. You should video yourself in the setting in which you plan to teach. Strong audio and video quality with minimal distractions in the background are recommended.
- Please make sure that the documents and file links you share are made accessible by changing the settings
Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org