The Career Potential
Ortho Clinical Diagnostics is committed to improving and saving lives with diagnostics. To do this we hire people who share this dream and are ready for new adventures. As a valued team member, you will carve your own career path and be part of building this company stronger and better than ever before. There is no limit to the experiences, opportunities and new directions you will have access to here at Ortho Clinical Diagnostics. More importantly, you will be driving the surge of a whole new direction in important medicine. That’s something we can all take pride in as we take this journey together.
Ortho is known in the industry as a leader in customer service and support. Deeply understanding and exceeding the needs of our clinical lab, hospital and blood bank customers is what we do. It’s who we are. If you join Ortho, no matter what your role, you will be expected to keep that Customer Excellence focus in your work.
As we continue to grow, we are seeking a Senior Systems Engineer to join our R&D Instrument Platforms organization to provide technical leadership for the realization of a new / substantially evolved existing product/feature within our portfolio of products. The individual should have an eye for creating custom engineering solutions and be well-versed in each stage of the R&D systems life cycle while driving results within the project constraints of schedule, cost, performance, quality and reliability objectives. This position is located in Rochester, NY.
- Drives refinement, translation, allocation to subsystems, and management of stakeholder requirements
- Define system interfaces, evaluate systems and make solution recommendations
- Leads cross-discipline feasibility and tradeoff studies
- Drives subsystem-level design & technical reviews.
- Leads defect management, risk management, usability activities
- Leads system integration (follow up, analysis, problem solving), verification and validation design input
- Biohazard Lab environment work
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned
- BS Degree in Systems Engineering or related engineering field is required.
- Minimum 5+ progressive years experience required, with experience in Fluidics Engineering preferred.
- Minimum 3+ years experience working in a multi-discipline project development environment.
- Minimum 3+ years of engineering experience of metering, microfluidic and mechanical systems strongly preferred.
- Systems thinking acuity required.
- Demonstrated ability in technical analysis including evaluation of multiple candidate solutions and significant evaluation of intangibles.
- Ability to propose methods, techniques and evaluation criteria to realize product functionality.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Proven technical leadership in matrix environment.
- Must have excellent organizational skills, communication, influencing and conflict resolution skills.
- Experience with technical writing and English fluency is required.
- Experience working with development partners is required.
- Ability to triage product issues and perform root cause investigations.
- Adapt quickly to obstacles and changing demands.
- Operates through the entire system engineering process model
- Ability to think like our customers and have a service-oriented mindset to better anticipate needs, resolve issues more quickly and ultimately create seamless user experiences
- Experience with MATLAB and MINITAB is preferred.
- Preferred skills include: Six Sigma, systems modeling background, and demonstrated experience in physics, mathematics, algorithms, optics, fluid dynamics.