About this Job
Title: Our Climate Washington Fellow
Location: Remote, in Washington State
Positions available: 5
Age range: 18-24
Time commitment: ~7 hours per week
Start date: September 15, 2021
End date: May 15, 2022
Overview of Position: Our Climate’s Washington Fellowship is a structured program in which participants organize their peers, engage the media, collaborate with partner organizations and coalition members, and meet with elected officials to advance science-based and equitable federal climate policies. Fellows will coordinate with a cohort of state-level Fellows and Washington Field Representatives to achieve campaign goals. Washington Fellows receive one-on-one support from Our Climate staff.
Fellows commit ~7 hours/week to the program for the school year. Most of the work is coordinated virtually, with several large in-person actions happening throughout the year.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Organizing and hosting events (lobby days, workshops, trainings, etc.) on campus or virtually;
- Writing blog pieces, letters to the editor, and gaining media attention to build public support.
- Participating in weekly video calls with the Washington Field Organizer and other fellows.
- Participating in the state curriculum and completing weekly assignments.
- Planning and facilitating meetings with elected officials.
- Engaging in policy analysis and power mapping to identify elected officials and build strategy to pass climate policy.
- Attend relevant committee hearings and coalition meetings.
- Mentor and support Washington Field Representatives.
- Gathering petition signatures and creating digital climate advocacy campaigns;
- Representing Our Climate in coalition spaces
Fellows in Washington will receive one-on-one support from Our Climate’s WA Field Coordinator, (firstname.lastname@example.org), who will help their cohort identify and achieve shared climate justice goals.
All Fellowship programs start September 15, 2021 and end May 15, 2022.
Five Fellows will be selected and receive a $500 reimbursement for educational/professional development trainings. Only 2 Fellows will be paid hourly based on need, through our North Light Scholarship. This is included in the application description, found here: ourclimate.us/fellowship/
Please submit your application on our Google form here.
Application deadline is August 15th, with interviews beginning near the end of August.