ABOUT PARKES PHILANTHROPY
Parkes Philanthropy is a social impact consulting firm dedicated to equipping constituents with the ideas, resources, and support they need to positively impact the world. Parkes Philanthropy works with nonprofit organizations, businesses looking to create or enhance a social impact strategy, and individuals looking to engage strategically in the social sector. Our vision is to empower any constituent seeking to create positive change.
With over 60+ years of combined experience in the social sector, the backbone of Parkes Philanthropy is our talented Consultants, a collective of dynamic individuals who have each demonstrated the commitment and ability to create change through a lifelong career dedicated to positive social impact.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Parkes Philanthropy not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic, dedicated and self-driven Marketing & PR Intern to support with elevating the Parkes Philanthropy brand through strategic PR efforts, social media, and our owned communications. This experience will be invaluable if you are considering a career in PR or marketing/communications for mission-driven organizations.
Reporting to the CEO and COO directly, this internship will provide a college student (or recent graduate) with exposure to the core skills needed to be a successful social media/PR manager in the philanthropic space. Our ideal candidate has a passion for social change with an interest in marketing, branding, and social media management.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Become an expert in the Parkes Philanthropy voice and the way we communicate with the community, partners, and organizations
- Gain an understanding of a client’s market by reading relevant industry publications and reporting any relevant findings to the team
- Source and prepare media opportunities for team and consultants
- Learn how to write pitches and press releases
- Write your own pieces on strategic topics
- Work with colleagues across the organization to identify newsworthy stories and pitch them to media on a regular basis
- Develop tools and new ways to engage media partners to help generate ongoing local market coverage
- Create and maintain media lists and editorial calendars
- Support with managing Parkes Philanthropy social media channels
- Draft email newsletters to communicate with Parkes Philanthropy partners and audience
The intern will be expected to work about 8 to 15 hours a week. This will be a flexible and remote schedule.
A current student or recent graduate with a background and/or interest in marketing, social media, social impact, philanthropy, business development and/or non-profit work.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and follow-up skills.
- A strong writer excited to help bring the Parkes Philanthropy voice to life
- Comfortable with social media – previous experience managing an external facing account, through volunteering, your own side project, or an internship is a plus!
- Experience with graphic design using photoshop, canva, or other tools
- Experience and/or comfort in managing multiple tasks and work streams.
- Adaptability and comfort with ambiguity – you’re eager to learn and take on new and varied responsibilities
WHO YOU ARE
Our ideal candidates have a passion for social change and professional aspirations in consulting or business development. You are very organized, detail-oriented, and comfortable managing multiple projects in a fast-paced and remote startup setting. You have an interest in learning how to properly gain media attention from prospective donors, partners, and clients.
- Proactive: You enjoy being busy and taking on new work. You’re not afraid to ask for a project that might seem daunting.
- Detail-oriented: While you thrive in fast-paced environments, you understand that the smallest aspects of a project are vital in producing quality work. Proof-reading, fact-checking, and sourcing work is second nature to you.
- Problem-solver: Surviving in the non-profit industry is an art, not a science. Whether it’s gathering data, rewriting a proposal, or researching industry trends, you are adamant about exploring all options for moving a client forward.
- Team player: You can work efficiently, digitally and collaboratively in a remote setting with fellow colleagues to manufacture top-notch work. You are communicative, ensuring that all team members are informed of your progress and any challenges that may arise.
- Adaptable: When change happens, you are flexible and can think on your feet. You like to learn new things and can learn them quickly. From education to social work, you have an interest in learning how non-profits garner support and sustain themselves.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter expressing your interest and skills via email to Caitlin Kawaguchi at email@example.com and include “Marketing, PR Intern” in the subject line.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until August 13th or until positions are filled.