The primary purpose of this position is the purification / recovery of the various vaccine candidates for preclinical studies. These include development of scalable purification processes for proteins, multiprotein complexes, virus like particles, nanoparticles and mRNA using broad range of fractionation methods (centrifugation, ultra / diafiltration, etc.), and chromatographic techniques (affinity, ion exchange, hydrophobic interaction, immobilized metal, and mixed mode chromatography). In addition to process development, experience with in-process analytical techniques is highly desired. Careful documentation of work and presentation of data is required.
All work is to be done in a compliant manner according to SOP guidelines and cGMP/GLP regulations, where applicable.
- Develop purification processes for vaccine antigens (proteins, polysaccharides, viruses, DNA / RNA and other macromolecules).
- Collaborate with colleagues within Vaccine Research and Development organization including Bioprocess Fermentation, Analytical, and Formulation Development groups.
- Present problems and propose solutions in discussions with group members. Offer insights based on experience to group members to help solve existing problems.
- Author and review purification procedures and reports.
- Maintain detailed records and keep management informed as to the progress or issues.
- Keep abreast of scientific/ technological development by participating in scientific meetings/ seminars and through regular scientific review. Utilize new technologies and establish those technologies to improve purification / recovery capabilities of process development group.
- Where applicable, perform job responsibilities in compliance with GLP and all other regulatory agency requirements
- Satisfactorily complete all GLP and safety training in compliance with departmental requirements and follow appropriate safety practices in the workplace
- Perform timely notebook entries and review for completed experiments.
- Perform other duties as assigned
The incumbent will interact with Bioprocess Fermentation, Analytical, and Formulation Development groups for support of process development, sample analysis, and formulation activities.
- The incumbent advises the supervisor of the equipment and consumables required to accomplish the work.
- The incumbent does not have supervisory responsibilities.
BACKGROUND & EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- MS / BS in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Engineering or related discipline with at 0 – 2 years of academic, pharmaceutical, or biotechnology experience is required.
- A background in protein biochemistry, and separation techniques is essential. Hands on experience with proteins, polysaccharides or mRNA is preferred.
- Experience isolating/purifying proteins from both microbial and mammalian systems is preferred.
- Proficiency with personal computers including word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint and relevant scientific software is desirable.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge and ability to independently design, plan, and execute purification / recovery activities.
- These should also include the ability to operate and maintain relevant instruments, resolve technical problems related to instruments, and execution of analytical / biophysical characterization methods.
- Proficiency and ability to utilize various techniques such as FPLC / HPLC, UV-Vis, CD, fluorescence spectroscopy to isolate and, when necessary, characterize purified vaccine candidates.
- Independently analyze and provide conclusions regarding experimental data generated.
- Must be able to lift at least 25 lbs.
Other Job Details:
- Last Date to Apply for Job: April 23, 2021
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus