The Transaction Associate must perform financial underwriting, due diligence, and qualitative analysis of prospective real estate investments and divestitures, including acquisitions, dispositions, and redevelopments. This role will interact closely with the Acquisition/Disposition team and have frequent interaction with many departments across the organization. The Transactions Associate position is required to provide best practice development to maintain and continuously improve the integrity and effectiveness of the transactions team’s product to the company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review and underwrite potential acquisitions, to include: review and analysis of broker marketing materials, recommendation to Acquisitions/Disposition Officer on next steps; create market assumptions utilizing internal and external resources; provide asset/market research through Investment Committee (“IC”) approval; create and update the acquisition underwriting model through IC approval, due diligence and closing.
- Assist Acquisition team with broker communication (initial deal review, underwriting, buyer interview) prior to being awarded a deal, and assist with internal communications (Intro Meeting Presentation and Sign Off prep) once under contract.
- Review and underwrite potential dispositions, to include: compilation and review of all documents for delivery to broker; communication with internal teams prior to marketing an asset; point of contact for broker modeling questions; review of Offer Memorandum and other marketing materials; create and update the disposition underwriting model through marketing, due diligence and closing.
- Lead all Due Diligence activities on acquisitions and dispositions from inspection period through closing.
- Due Diligence activities include: Lease document review, on-site property inspection, tenant interviews, market research and analysis, managing third party vendors (to include property condition and environmental assessments, ADA, survey, zoning, etc), interfacing with internal and external legal counsel, engaging internal departments to create an operating plan, compilation of key findings and recommendations, management of closing process.
- Facilitate a smooth hand-off to the organization of the underwriting and due diligence materials for each acquisition or disposition.
- Lead efforts to continuously improve processes and models used within the overall Acquisitions/Dispositions/Transactions group.
- Attend key meetings: Weekly Acquisition/Disposition Review, Investment Committee, Regional Disposition Reviews with Portfolio Management and Acquisition Sign-off.
Education / Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or Real Estate required, advanced degree preferred.
- 3+ years of directly applicable experience in commercial real estate required. Transactions experience with an emphasis on valuation, analysis and due diligence strongly preferred. Relevant internship experience will be considered.
- Advanced use of Argus valuation software required.
- MS Office experience including a high proficiency with Excel required.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills