Arabic-Speaking Investigations Intern, Summer 2021
The Arabic-speaking investigations intern is the perfect role for a budding human rights activist interested in hands-on non-profit programmatic experience. This opportunity allows the intern to develop research, language, and analytical skills on topical and important human rights issues through PHR’s hands-on work. The intern works closely with PHR’s research and investigations team to help monitor and document daily developments in and violations of medical neutrality in Syria and Yemen. PHR utilizes this documentation to inform the media, motivate governments and the UN to denounce such violations of international law, and reinforce that attacks on medical workers, hospitals, and health care infrastructure must stop.
The Arabic-speaking intern will attend departmental and staff meetings, as well as regular learning and social events with other PHR interns and staff to round out his/her learning experience and complement PHR-provided career mentoring.
PHR internships are unpaid. Candidates may be able to arrange academic credit, and should check with their individual academic institutions for requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to PHR’s online interactive map that tracks the deliberate and indiscriminate attacks on medical workers and health facilities in Syria.
- Monitor daily developments and violations of medical neutrality in Syria and Yemen.
- Conduct, analyze, and organize open-source research on attacks against health care in Syria and Yemen.
- Analyze video and other media and extract relevant data.
- Provide translations of articles and videos from Arabic to English.
Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
Qualifications and Experience
- Current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program in a related field
- Professional working proficiency (written and verbal) in MSA and Levantine or Yemeni dialect required.
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to human rights.
- Strong analytical, writing, and verbal communication skills
- Mature judgement, able to maintain confidentiality and a self-starter.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and follow-through.
- Willingness to work with graphic visual and written content.
Location and Hours
- The internship will be based entirely remote due to PHR’s evaluations of coronavirus health risks.
- PHR welcomes applications for candidates out of state.
- The internship will commence in early June with at least a 10/12-week commitment.
- Hours can be flexible to accommodate different types of schedules.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Arabic-Speaking Research and Investigations Intern Summer 2021” in the subject line. Please include in your cover letter the number of weekly hours you would be able to commit to the internship.