Communications Intern, Summer 2021
Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
The communications internship is ideal for a student seeking a hands-on opportunity to work on media relations, multi-channel digital communications, and research and publications. The intern will work as an integral part of PHR’s communications team to help with materials and messaging for PHR’s mission and work.
The communications intern will attend departmental and staff meetings, as well as regular learning and social events with other interns and staff from PHR to round out their learning experience and complement PHR-provided career mentoring.
PHR internships are unpaid. Candidates may be able to arrange academic credit, and should check with their individual academic institutions for requirements.
- Track relevant news stories on human rights violations around the world.
- Research, write, proofread, and copy-edit social media, blog posts, web content, newsletter articles, press releases, and other communications materials.
- Support production of publications by drafting content, researching, proofreading, formatting, etc.
- Support production of organic social media content tailored for each platform, including copy, images and graphics, animation/gifts, and infographics.
- Provide implementation support for email campaigns.
- Work with digital team to ensure website keywords, metadata, and taxonomy are accurately applied to content and that content is optimized for SEO.
- Assist digital team with COVID-19 webinar series, including creating promotional graphics, managing and circulating performance statistics, and cleaning registrant and attendee data.
- Run reports to track website traffic, fundraising, and online ad campaigns.
- Track PHR’s media coverage and compile and organize media lists.
- Research journalists and outlets covering topics and regions related to PHR’s work.
Qualifications and Experience
- Current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program of study specializing in communications, journalism, international relations, or other relevant major
- Interest in communications work in a nonprofit setting
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with (or interest in learning) WordPress and/or managing social media platforms
- Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to facilitate a project from start to finish
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and professionally
- Mature judgment, confidentiality, and capacity to work independently
- Sense of humor a plus
Location and Hours
- The intern will be based entirely remote due to PHR’s evaluation of coronavirus health risks. PHR welcomes applications from candidates located out of state.
- The internship starts in early June and requires at least a 10-week commitment.
- Hours can be flexible to accommodate different types of schedules.
How to Apply
Please apply by sending a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications Intern Summer 2021” in the subject line. Please include in your cover letter the number of weekly hours you would be able to commit to the internship.