An exciting opportunity exists to join the ProAssurance family of companies!
We are a specialty writer of professional liability, products liability and workers’ compensation insurance. With approximately 1,000 team members operating in all 50 states, we are well-positioned to offer career opportunities to individuals interested in professional growth.
This position supports our healthcare professional liability line of business and can be fully remote in the Pacific Time Zone.
The Underwriting Technician will assist and support their underwriter(s) in providing exceptional customer services levels for policyholders, agents/producers and internal customers. Under general supervision, handle policy processing for new business, renewals and ongoing account maintenance. This position should also demonstrate strong analytical and interpersonal skills in addition to outstanding customer service skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
40% – Support the development, growth and maintenance of an assigned book of business working directly with UW staff.
- Works pro-actively with underwriter(s) in support of our new and renewal client base.
- Responsible for providing the highest level of accuracy and support to the underwriter(s) throughout the new business lifecycle and ongoing renewal account maintenance.
- Provide exceptional customer service by processing binders, policy issuance and midterm service requests within established timeframes.
- Works with underwriter(s) to coordinate and solicit renewal submissions in accordance with established timeframes.
- Performs initial review, triage and processing of new business and renewal submissions.
- Sets up underwriting files pulling together information from disparate sources into a cohesive format for underwriter(s) and territories.
- Perform specialized rating functions as they relate to assigned product line (e.g. quotations for large submissions, Hospital and Facility rating, initial set-up of Loss Analysis Tool, etc.)
- Coordination of documentation for underwriting files.
- Processes system transactions relative to assigned product line ensuring the highest level of precision.
- Prepares non-automated policy forms, letters, documents and sends to appropriate clients.
- Reviews binders and policies for accuracy.
25% – Maintain and develop strong technical Skills including both product and system knowledge.
- Demonstrate expert system skills (e.g. Oasis, Image Right etc.)
- Has an exceptional understanding of underwriting products (policy, endorsements and rating tools) within their assigned territory and understand marketplace and broker dynamics that impact business flow and support requirements.
- Work with IT and/or Business Analyst to troubleshoot, coordinate and communicate system problems.
- Serve as primary tester representing Underwriting interests within system upgrades, new releases, etc.
- Proficient in running established data warehouse reports.
- Participate in learning and development opportunities online, in person and group training sessions as needed. Outside Institutes and RPLU courses encouraged.
20% – Support Underwriting efforts to develop, cultivate and strengthen relationships with our Agency/Broker partners.
- Provide assistance to the Underwriters in the assigned territory by preparing necessary policy documents to Agency/Broker visits.
- Maintains highest level of customer service and produces accurate work with minimal mistakes.
- Understand and achieve productivity requirements to meet Underwriting objectives.
- Responds in a timely and professional manner to internal processing requests and external queries received from our brokers.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and consistently meet processing deadlines per underwriting service standards.
10% – Maintain strong relationships internally to support underwriting team efforts as well as cross departmental and cross office.
- Maintain an organized approach to managing the multiple tasks of a high volume desk.
- Plan ahead for peak workload times.
- Flexibility to support other team members as needed based on volume of workloads.
- Participate in assigned projects and departmental efforts as an active and positive team member.
- Clear, constructive communication with other team members to address needs and concerns.
- Collaborates effectively with the Customer Experience and Engagement team as necessary.
- Quality evaluations and call performance standards.
5% – Other duties/responsibilities as directed by management.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field, or a minimum of eight years’ relevant experience in lieu of degree.
- Previous insurance experience is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and analytical skills.
- Must have strong attention to detail with accuracy and minimal errors.
- Ability to work independently in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to prioritize effectively and appropriately to manage their own workflow.
- Critical thinking, active listening and time management skills are essential.
- Dependable and detail oriented with demonstrated ability to self-direct and meet deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks in a high volume, fast paced environment.
- Self-motivated and able to handle significant workflow and account volume while accomplishing multiple tasks in a timely manner.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite with proficiency in Outlook, Word and Excel. Intermediate Skill Level in Microsoft Excel preferred, including formula-writing and proficiency in pivot tables.
- Ability to work in dynamic, rapidly changing environment; adapting to changing requirements and collaborating with a wide range of colleagues to quickly deliver solutions.
- Takes initiative on projects and assignments, seeks alternate solutions when necessary.
- Highly motivated and results-oriented.