In 2018, Protect Our Defenders opened a Law Center through which interns will primarily support the Legal Services Program (LSP). Interns will provide legal casework assistance and referrals for survivors of military sexual assault and harassment who are facing challenges related to the assault, harassment, and/or retaliation for such. This will involve communicating directly with survivors, engaging in outreach efforts to other organization and agencies, and expanding the resources and information disseminated to those seeking assistance. Additionally, interns will provide support to ongoing advocacy campaigns and policy issues related to military sexual assault. They may also be tasked with data gathering, research projects, drafting Congressional letters, and updating the POD website and monitoring social media accounts.
Because we are a small organization, our interns work side-by-side with staff members and receive substantive experience on military sexual assault and harassment casework matters and policy efforts. We will work with you to ensure that this internship provides a meaningful professional experience. We are seeking part-time interns to work approximately 15 hours per week (12 hours per week minimum). This is a paid internship. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this internship will be conducted remotely. Specific start and end dates for Fall 2021 are flexible.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage all aspects of sexual assault and harassment cases by conducting intake interviews with sexual assault and harassment survivors, engaging in follow-up communication, and researching appropriate resources
- Research and draft memoranda into current and potential military sexual assault policies, legislation, and regulations
- Utilize research skills to pull data and information for ongoing projects and publications • Support staff in the planning and implementation of outreach efforts to raise awareness of the Protect Our Defenders Law Center among military attorneys, service members, veterans, and survivors
- Assist with direct actions and campaigns
- Update resources on Protect Our Defenders’ website and monitor social media accounts
- Administrative and other support as needed
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Excellent research, writing, and communication skills
- Background in victim advocacy and/or sexual assault response preferred
- Commitment to public interest and social justice
- Experience utilizing WordPress, Canva, Microsoft 365, and Google Sheets/Docs/Calendar preferred but not required
- Due to the remote aspect of this internship, intern prospects are required to have regular access to a computer and cellular phone