Questex’s Fierce Life Sciences division is seeking sharp and eager journalists to join our expanding team and help cover the most important story we’ve ever tackled—the COVID-19 pandemic. Four beats are open: biotech, healthcare, medtech and pharma.
We’re veterans in the healthcare and life sciences world, with a readership of 4 million to 5 million each month, and we’ve covered the pandemic players for years. But we need more staffers to chase the news, analyze it and bring it home for our audience. If you want to dig into the tools that will end this pandemic—vaccines, drugs and diagnostics—and the companies and people who make them, this is the place to be.
We’re not just about COVID, either: Our Life Sciences group covers biotech, medtech, healthcare and pharma from the discovery lab through regulatory approval to marketing and beyond, good news and bad, flattering and unflattering.
The ideal candidate for this job can operate in a fast-paced, high-energy environment; communicate seamlessly with companies, regulatory agencies and colleagues spread out across the globe; and work with an experienced team of business journalists who pride themselves on providing breaking news and thorough analysis in a fresh, relatable way.
This person will also have a commitment to editorial quality, a passion for diving deep into the subjects they cover, and the desire to have a little fun with what they do.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Write daily news stories, as well as some long-form features and special reports closely watched in the industry we cover
- Develop a beat and a range of sources at companies and regulatory agencies and among industry experts and analysts. Mine government databases, court documents, securities filings and other public sources for news and enterprise stories
- Brainstorm and bring to life features and series that help Fierce Pharma interact with and engage our dedicated community of readers
- Monitor social media and news sites for breaking stories, and post and interact on those platforms.
- Maintain a strong social media presence. Engage in active conversations around your content and the industry on Twitter, LinkedIn and other social platforms.
- Interview CEOs, regulators, marketing and manufacturing executives, scientists, analysts and other industry sources
- Attend key medical conferences and Fierce Life Sciences events as the public face of Fierce Pharma; cover news from conferences and recruit/moderate our panels and events
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Minimum 1 year experience (this includes internships) in online or print journalism
- Business and/or life sciences writing experience a plus
- Degree in journalism, communications, English or another writing-intensive major, or industry-relevant field such as business, biology or pre-med
- Strong writing skills and knowledge of AP style
- Most importantly, a positive attitude, “Fierce” work ethic and desire to work on a winning team. Our goal is to maintain our position as the leading resource for our professional readers each day
Come join our talented group of writers and editors who enjoy our work—and working together. We believe we’re fielding the best team we’ve ever had, and we want you to be a part of it.
All applications should include your resume, cover letter and five published clips, including features and deadline news. Applications should be submitted to Tracy Staton at email@example.com.