Our mission is to simplify real estate investment by connecting investors to high quality commercial real estate transactions. Real estate is the most popular asset class in the world, and probably the most fraught with peril for the individual investor. Individuals have extremely limited information and access beyond their own neighborhood. The ability to do due diligence is minimal, and it is complex to negotiate, purchase, manage, and liquidate.
RealtyMogul was created to make this asset class available. We allow our investors to buy portions of properties instead of entire ones or get exposure to multiple properties via third party funds or our proprietary REITs. We source the partners or investments ourselves, diligence them ourselves and walk every property that we offer up for investment.
We have been at it since 2012 and have backed more than 90 operating partners across the country in addition to building our own direct acquisitions team. We have learned what a great property that is well managed looks like. We leverage our experience to find the best deals, actively asset manage, and maximize our investors’ returns.
Today we are one of the largest, most recognizable brands in online real estate crowdfunding, with over $700 million in capital invested into over $3.5 billion of real estate nationwide. We were named the #1 Commercial Real Estate Crowdfunding Platform by Motley Fool. We remain focused on building the best online experience to enable investment into highly vetted commercial real estate assets and to educate our growing user base about the many aspects of real estate investing, all through an online, scalable platform.
About Your Role
RealtyMogul is seeking a Controller who is intelligent and motivated, with a strong sense of ownership. This individual will have leadership responsibility to oversee the Accounting and Finance department, including financial reporting, treasury, audits, taxes, and FP&A for both the corporate entity and its managed REITs. The position reports directly to the CEO.
Must be authorized to work in the US.
While we are located in Los Angeles, this role is remote.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead the accounting team: supervise, develop and motivate staff, ensuring top performance, positive morale and clearly defined career paths.
- Maintain and enhance key internal controls, accounting policies and procedures and ensure compliance and consistency throughout the company as well as identify process improvements.
- Prepare monthly corporate financial statements and provide accurate and timely financial reporting in compliance with lender requirements.
- Run monthly budget to actual variance analysis to ensure company’s financial performance is in line with plan.
- Review monthly REIT and property level financial statements and prepare quarterly consolidations.
- Prepare accurate and complete annual GAAP financial statements, including required footnotes and relevant financial analysis for the company’s audits.
- Lead REIT annual audits (1-K filing) and semi-annual filings (1-SA filing) ensuring financial reports’ accuracy and timely filing with the SEC.
- Collaborate with auditors to ensure corporate audit is completed by lender due date.
- Coordinate with tax advisors to prepare extensions and year-end tax forms, including 1099s, K-1s, and federal and state returns.
- Assist the REIT Portfolio Manager in the preparation of regulatory filings related to the company’s REITs and its other investment vehicles.
- Oversee treasury functions, manage warehouse line and new account creation, and maintain banking relationship.
- Manage day to day improvements, upgrades, and implementation of Oracle Fusion (and other financial systems, if any) as required by the business.
- Process monthly and quarterly distributions to investors through proprietary distribution platform.
- Maintain financial model for annual budget and 5-year forecast and adapt to new business needs.
- Work closely with Operations, Commercial Real Estate, and Asset Management teams to ensure smooth daily operations on both the real estate transaction side and the capital market side.
Who You Are:
- 10+ years of accounting experience and 4+ years of experience managing a team.
- Experience in real estate, REIT or fund accounting is the core focus of the search.
- CPA or public accounting experience preferred.
- Solid understanding of US GAAP, general accounting processes, internal controls, financial analysis tools and techniques.
- Experience with public traded or non-traded funds including a deep understanding of regulatory guidance and filing requirements.
- Advanced skills with MS Office including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to stay organized with a wide variety of tasks and impressive attention to detail.
- Strong written and communication skills.
- Ability to execute in a fast-paced environment.