Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
The Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI) is dedicated to creating a movement based on rational discourse and political liberalism, both of which have come under threat from across the political spectrum. Founded by a diverse, cross-partisan group of leaders, including former world chess champion Garry Kasparov; Senators Heidi Heitkamp and Bob Kerrey; and Pulitzer Prize winners Anne Applebaum and Bret Stephens, we are committed to data-driven decision-making and combatting the twin threats of far-left and far-right radicalism. Our Board and extended network give us unique credibility and a global perspective as we educate people about core liberal principles and empower them to prioritize these values in their civic behavior.
We have a small, tight-knit team, so interns will have the unique opportunity to work on high-level projects and partnerships and make a personal impact on American democracy. As a start-up organization, we have an “all hands on deck” approach, and interns should expect to play multiple roles, handling a mix of substantive and administrative responsibilities.
About the role
- Driving video narratives with audio productions including music, sound design, and voiceover that fulfills RDI vision and overall aesthetic
- Mixing and mastering content that is structured with dialogue, music, and sound effects
- Organizing media remotely and structuring audio files coherently between video production teams
- Researching topics in relation to video productions in order to provide audio that is culturally relevant
- Compositing music for social media content which includes utilizing instrumentation across several musical genres
- Editing dialogue by removing noise, de-essing, de-plosive, and compressing all within the recommended LUFS for social media and following guidelines by Broadcast Level Standards and FCC Loudness regulations
- Offer insight on sonic branding that aligns with our mission and values
- Creatively strategizing ways to generate positive publicity for RDI content
- Assisting with the promotion of RDI video content
- Communicating effectively and with integrity with a remote team across multiple time zones
Qualifications of an ideal candidate
- Exceptional undergraduates, graduate students, recent grads, or those with relevant work experience are encouraged to apply
- Knowledge of sound designing, mixing, and mastering is a must
- Knowledge of music composition, music theory, and orchestration is highly recommended; or, alternatively, knowledge of how to leverage audio libraries, samples, and stock music
- Experience editing with Adobe Audition/Premiere Pro is recommended
- Knowledge of audio encoding and optimization for multiple platform releases
- Flexibility in interpreting and implementing sound design and sound effects for videos
- Detail-oriented to a fault
- Strong belief in RDI’s mission and values
- Experience thinking through effective distribution of video content is a plus
- Knowledge of graphic design is a plus
- Open-minded and willing to interact with those whom they may disagree with
- Social, articulate, and a self-starter unafraid to take initiative with minimal oversight
- Excellent communication skills
Logistics & Benefits
- This is an unpaid, volunteer internship
- Academic Credit is offered upon school or departmental approval
- This internship lasts 4 months, concurrent with the Fall academic semester, and interns can choose to work either full time (40 hours/week) or part time (25+ hours/week)
- Hours are flexible and we are willing to work around your academic schedule
- An opportunity to work closely with senior organizational leadership, including the Executive Director, as well as access to members of the Board of Directors, and other individuals from RDI’s extended network
- A typical day could include spending a few hours working with the video team; sourcing audio clips, sound effects, and music; and collaborating with other audio interns
We are recruiting on a rolling basis. Please send a resume, brief cover letter (optional), and examples of your audio/creative work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
The Renew Democracy Initiative is an equal-opportunity employer.