Check with your internship coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
The Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI) is dedicated to creating a movement based on rational discourse and political liberalism, both of which have come under threat from across the political spectrum. Founded by a diverse, cross-partisan group of leaders, including former world chess champion Garry Kasparov; Senators Heidi Heitkamp and Bob Kerrey; and Pulitzer Prize winners Anne Applebaum and Bret Stephens, we are committed to data-driven decision-making and combatting the twin threats of far-left and far-right radicalism. Our Board and extended network give us unique credibility and a global perspective as we educate people about core liberal principles and empower them to prioritize these values in their civic behavior.
We have a small, tight-knit team, so interns will have the unique opportunity to work on high-level projects and partnerships and make a personal impact on American democracy. As a start-up organization, we have an “all hands on deck” approach, and interns should expect to play multiple roles, handling a mix of substantive and administrative responsibilities.
About the role
This is an absolutely critical role assisting with management of RDI’s contacts database and executing our community management priorities. This role will involve working on some combination of the below:
- Spearheading RDI events and activities through EveryAction, which will include the following responsibilities:
- designing and uploading emails
- managing contact lists
- segmenting audiences
- creating and managing events
- Analyzing audience performance and other metrics
- injecting OnlineActions into webpages to drive event registrations
- Creating and managing Zoom webinars and meetings for our live events series
- Analyzing RDI’s key performance indicators (KPI) and proactively notifying the team of risks or issues as they arise
Qualifications of an ideal candidate
- Exceptional undergraduates, graduate students, and recent grads are encouraged to apply
- Uniquely detail-oriented
- Strong belief in RDI’s mission and values
- Problem-solving skills and high levels of intuition
- Excellent communication skills
- Open-minded and willing to interact with a broad range of often-conflicting political points of view
- Social, articulate, and a self-starter unafraid to take initiative
- Experience with Google Suite (especially Google Sheets), Zoom, and other development databases strongly preferred
- Google Search Console and Google Analytics knowledge preferred
- Experience with EveryAction specifically is a significant plus, although general CRM experience is applicable
- Basic HTML knowledge or any other relevant coding experience is a plus
Logistics & Benefits
- This is an unpaid, volunteer internship
- Academic Credit is offered upon school or departmental approval
- This internship lasts 4 months, concurrent with the Fall academic semester, and interns can choose to work either full time (40 hours/week) or part time (25+ hours/week)
- Hours are flexible and we are willing to work around your academic schedule
- An opportunity to work closely with senior organizational leadership, including the Executive Director, as well as access to members of the Board of Directors, and other individuals from RDI’s extended network
- A typical day could include spending a few hours updating the website and doing various EveryAction related tasks; segmenting audiences and running reports; participating in a lunch-and-learn with a prominent political figure, a world champion poker player, or a global business leader; and coordinating with the Newsletter and Event teams to put together digital content
We are recruiting on a rolling basis. Please send a resume and a brief cover letter covering your relevant CRM experience and interest in the role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also indicate your desired hours per week and start date in your cover letter. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
The Renew Democracy Initiative is an equal-opportunity employer.