The Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI) is dedicated to creating a movement based on rational discourse and political liberalism, both of which have come under threat from across the political spectrum. Founded by a diverse, cross-partisan group of leaders, including former world chess champion Garry Kasparov; Senators Heidi Heitkamp and Bob Kerrey; and Pulitzer Prize winners Anne Applebaum and Bret Stephens, we are committed to data-driven decision-making and combatting the twin threats of far-left and far-right radicalism. Our Board and extended network give us unique credibility and a global perspective as we educate people about core liberal principles and empower them to prioritize these values in their civic behavior.
We have a small, tight-knit team, so interns will have the unique opportunity to work on high-level projects and partnerships and make a personal impact on American democracy. As a start-up organization, we have an “all hands on deck” approach, and interns should expect to play multiple roles, handling a mix of substantive and administrative responsibilities.
About the role
This role will involve working on some combination of the following responsibilities. Please be sure to review our website and social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, and Youtube) prior to applying!
- Designing RDI collateral for the website, social media, and events
- Sharpening and editing photos
- Creating templates for our social media graphics
- Ensuring that RDI content (such as our newsletter) is designed in the best possible way to grab and maintain the reader’s attention
- Maintaining and building upon our brand
- Using WordPress and Elementor to keep our website updated on a daily basis
- Creating and updating web pages, and incorporating front-end and back-end design changes as needed
Qualifications of an ideal candidate
- Exceptional undergraduates, graduate students, recent grads, or those with relevant work experience are encouraged to apply
- Strong Familiarity with graphic design, and relevant programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or Canva
- Uniquely detail-oriented
- Strong belief in RDI’s mission and values
- Excellent communication skills
- Open-minded and willing to interact with a broad range of often-conflicting political points of view
- Social, articulate, and a self-starter unafraid to take initiative with minimal oversight
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, and other website coding formats is a significant plus
Logistics & Benefits
- This is an unpaid, volunteer internship
- Academic Credit is offered upon school or departmental approval
- This internship lasts 4 months, concurrent with the Spring academic semester, and interns can choose to work either full time (40 hours/week) or part time (25+ hours/week)
- Hours are flexible and we are willing to work around your academic schedule
- An opportunity to work closely with senior organizational leadership, including the Executive Director, as well as access to members of the Board of Directors, and other individuals from RDI’s extended network
- A typical day could include spending a few hours posting updates to the website and building web pages; creating banner photos and incorporating new designs to promote RDI events; participating in a lunch-and-learn with a prominent political figure, a world champion poker player, or a global business leader; and coordinating with the Newsletter and Event teams to put together digital content
We are recruiting on a rolling basis. Please send a resume, brief cover letter covering relevant experience and interest in the role, and either a portfolio or examples of your web development / management experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also indicate your desired hours per week and start date in your cover letter. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
The Renew Democracy Initiative is an equal-opportunity employer.
Check with your school’s Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting the hiring offer to determine if this position satisfies the criteria for receiving academic credit.