Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
The Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI) is dedicated to creating a movement based on rational discourse and political liberalism, both of which have come under threat from across the political spectrum. Founded by a diverse, cross-partisan group of leaders, including former world chess champion Garry Kasparov; Senators Heidi Heitkamp and Bob Kerrey; and Pulitzer Prize winners Anne Applebaum and Bret Stephens, we are committed to data-driven decision-making and combatting the twin threats of far-left and far-right radicalism. Our Board and extended network give us unique credibility and a global perspective as we educate people about core liberal principles and empower them to prioritize these values in their civic behavior.
We have a small, tight-knit team, so interns will have the unique opportunity to work on high-level projects and partnerships and make a personal impact on American democracy. As a start-up organization, we have an “all hands on deck” approach, and interns should expect to play multiple roles, handling a mix of substantive and administrative responsibilities.
About the role
This role will involve working on some combination of the following responsibilities. Please review our videos page and social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, and Youtube) to get a sense for the style and substance of our existing video content.
- Working on video conceptualization with our A/V team, executive staff, and members of the Board of Directors
- Assisting with all elements of video editing and production, including but not limited to: splicing video clips together; lower thirds, transitions, locating b-roll, as well as placing b-roll within videos during production; finding appropriate music for videos; subtitling videos; and possibly working on animation
- Working with the marketing team to create video content for social media campaigns
- Assisting with the promotion of RDI video content
- Creatively strategizing ways to generate positive publicity for RDI videos
- Working on other special projects as needed
Qualifications of an ideal candidate
- Exceptional undergraduates, graduate students, recent grads, or those with relevant work experience are encouraged to apply
- Significant knowledge of video editing and production is a must
- Experience editing with Final Cut Pro and/or Premiere is required;
- Detail-oriented to a fault
- A belief in RDI’s mission and values
- Animation skills (e.g., familiarity with Adobe Animate and Adobe After Effects) are a significant plus
- Experience thinking through effective distribution of video content is a plus
- Knowledge of graphic design elements is a plus
- Open-minded and willing to interact with those with whom they may disagree
- Social, articulate, and a self-starter unafraid to take initiative with minimal oversight
Logistics & Benefits
- This is an unpaid, volunteer internship
- Academic Credit is offered upon school or departmental approval
- This internship lasts 4 months, concurrent with the Fall academic semester, and interns can choose to work either full time (40 hours/week) or part time (25+ hours/week)
- Hours are flexible and we are willing to work around your academic schedule
- An opportunity to work closely with senior organizational leadership, including the Executive Director, as well as access to members of the Board of Directors, and other individuals from RDI’s extended network
- A typical day could include spending a few hours executing work on a video project; participating in a lunch-and-learn with a prominent political figure, a world champion poker player, or a global business leader; coordinating with the Executive Team to edit a new project; and attending team meetings to conceptualize new video ideas
We are recruiting on a rolling basis. Please send a resume, brief cover letter (optional), and a portfolio of your video/creative work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
The Renew Democracy Initiative is an equal-opportunity employer.