IMMIGRATION LEGAL SERVICES – PROGRAM SUPPORT INTERNSHIP
Please note that our office is currently closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic but we continue to provide our services remotely. For all 2021 internships, we will be working remotely until further notice.
This position offers a wonderful opportunity for someone interested in immigration or social justice to become part of a team of people dedicated to helping immigrants and refugees. The Program Support intern will help triage clients via phone to determine their legal issue and liaise with ILS staff to schedule a legal consultation, provide administrative support for the Immigration Legal Services department, including data entry, reporting, and closing cases and help Interpret during client appointments as needed. You will be given significant responsibility, and will gain solid experience and learn new skills. This fall will be particularly busy as the Legal Services team will be assisting hundreds of Haitian clients with their Temporary Protected Status (TPS) applications. This will be a great experience for the right candidate as you will get to practice your interpreting skills also. You must have both Haitian Creole and English language skills to apply for this internship.
TIME COMMITMENT 20+ hours per week, Monday through Friday, 9am- 5pm, but willing to work with class schedules (hours negotiable).
- Fall Term: Sept 1 – December 31
INTERNSHIP DETAILS: This is an unpaid internship, but it may qualify as an eligible internship for course credit. Please check with your internship coordinator to determine if you might be able to do this internship for credit.
- Triage clients via phone to determine their legal issue and liaise with ILS staff to schedule a legal consultation
- Provide administrative support for the Immigration Legal Services department, including data entry, reporting, and closing case
- Interpret during client appointments as needed
- Participate in departmental and agency wide meetings: training, events, etc.
- Perform other tasks as required by supervisor
- Support the Rian Immigrant Center mission
- A commitment to the overall mission and values of the Rian Immigrant Center
- Haitian Creole fluency required; Spanish, Portuguese or French language skills a plus
- An interest in immigration law desired but not required
- Great organizational skills and attention to detail
- Articulate, and clear communicator
- Highly motivated, an ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Competent in using Microsoft Word , Excel and databases (Salesforce experience a big plus)
- Good interpersonal skills – friendly, helpful, and “can do” attitude
- Ability to handle confidential information with the highest level of discretion
To Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and complete our online application form located here: https://www.riancenter.org/internship-application/
The Rian Immigrant Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds and languages to apply.