WHAT WE DO: We help brands, IP owners, celebrities, and investors launch new Media and Commerce businesses. We specialize in audio, OTT video, livestreaming, sports / betting, and food & beverage.
ROLE: Strategy Analyst to help our client advisory team. Will also help with our newsletter and podcasts…meaning industry smarts and a bold POV is a plus!
TLDR: We’re growing fast and seek team members who want to build alongside a lean but rockstar crew. Join us if you want to push yourself, learn A LOT, get in front of incredible clients, and learn how to build many different types of companies. And have fun along the way. We seek 1-2 years of digital experience across business development or strategy, but have also been pleasantly delighted with candidates right out of undergrad…surprise us perhaps?!
RockWater is an intensely skilled and passionate team that services the world’s most ambitious and invested leadership at nextgen consumer brands. We provide specialist strategy advisory, host executive events, publish the Through Line newsletter and blog, and produce The Come Up podcast and RockWater Roundup microcast. We believe in a positive-sum approach to building and pride ourselves in making great decisions with great people. We strive for mission excellence in all that we do, and we genuinely enjoy our work.
RockWater advisory clients span international conglomerates (Google, YouTube, ViacomCBS), technology platforms (VERB Technology), upstart digital brands (Conan O’Brien-Team Coco, Whistle, AtmosphereTV), Hollywood producers (FilmNation, Scott Brothers Global) and more. We thrive in powering mature companies through change or identifying a startup’s differentiated value, and our project specific experience includes livestream commerce, audio and digital IP build-out, OTT distribution, social selling, subscription / member models, media MVP planning, ad sales / branded content solutions, direct-to-consumer, cross-border investment diligence, high-growth investment targets, capital raise preparation, and more.
We’re a fast-growing lean enterprise with grand ambitions, and seek an extraordinary team that strives for mission excellence. We currently seek individuals to bolster our strategy advisory and writing + podcast publishing practices via high caliber project execution and editorial production. Candidates with incredible heart, a keen intellect, comfort in the uncomfortable and a team win mindset will thrive. Our team is RockWater’s most powerful asset.
RockWater was founded by Christopher Erwin, a 17+ year veteran of the media, technology, and commerce industries. His executive experience spans investment banking, venture capital, and new Hollywood. Chris was named by Variety as one of Hollywood’s New Digital Leaders. He earned his MBA from the Kellogg School of Management. Chris likes to chase international surf, go on road trips, bake gluten and vegan items that mostly only he enjoys, and increasingly, produce podcasts.
If this sounds interesting, apply via Handshake or contact email@example.com with a resume and compelling (yet brief) cover note.
Greatness comes in many forms. Excited to see where yours comes from.
- Excitement for the RockWater mission and the vessel to carry us there (see above).
- Ambitious work experience; diverse internships or career track growth. Prior strategy or advisory experience is a plus.
- Passionate familiarity with media-tech-commerce.
- Rigorous education via academic degree or on-the-job training.
- Slow and fast thinkers. Be capable of both deep analysis and accelerated learning.
- Self-starter and builder mindset. We value goals-based leadership over micro management.
- Passion for the written and spoken word.
- Microsoft Office/Google Apps expert. Can make stellar presentations decks. Excel modeling and “lite” design (e.g. Canva) is a plus.
- Polished presence…you will present to us in your interview process.
Our work is fast evolving as we grow, and execution adaptability is critical. Below are our priority needs.
- Ongoing market research and intelligence. Keep the team and clients smart/current.
- Preparation of client pitch and strategy advisory materials (decks, models, briefings).
- Thoughtful contributions to internal discussions and client interactions. Have a POV and regularly refine it.
- For select candidates, financial and operational modeling. Quantitative rigor reinforces our ideas and our clients love us for it.
- Develop client relationships ‘throughout the bench’. Initiate and nurture new industry relations.
- Support the development and production of our audio slate (i.e. “podcasts” + other formats).
- Contribute written editorial for our email newsletter, LinkedIn, Twitter, website. Your work will be inspired by ongoing research and client work.
- Enable awesome community growth via event planning across LA, NYC, other growth cities, and virtual!
- Flexible admin: note-taking, meeting preparation, scheduling, more.
- Systems management: maintain and enhance our internal protocols and databases to drive workflow efficiency.
- Highest quality output across all client work, executive event planning, publishing. How we do anything is how we do everything.
WHAT WE STAND FOR
RockWater’s mission includes team pursuit of a fulfilled life alongside incredible peers. Our principles guide our journey and keep our team mission excellent.
- 80/20. We only focus on what matters.
- Excellence. How we do anything is how we do everything.
- Work smart. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
- Extreme ownership. We are wholly accountable to our outcomes.
- Do the right thing. Respect for team, clients, community, and planet.