RTI International’s International Development Group (IDG) seeks an experienced leader, implementer, and manager to join the Learning Energy and Environment for Development (LEED) Division as Director – Water for Development. This person will serve as the key leader for our international Water for Development team, providing management, leadership, and growth strategies, driving technical excellence and leading business development growth, particularly with USAID funded programs. RTI is looking for an Industry Leader who can ensure efficient management, planning and quality of work products while working collaboratively with other RTI technical and operational staff. There will be a strong focus on growth, business development and proposal management.
This position will be based in Washington, DC or the Research Triangle Park, North Carolina (RTI headquarters). Telecommuting will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The position will be expected to travel internationally up to 30% of the time.
Candidate will perform management, proposal development, client management and technical direction in areas described below.
- Lead and Manage the Water for Development team and carry out the recommendations of the final LEED-Climate, Natural Resources, and Water (CNRW) strategy.
- Provide significant leadership and management to the goals for growth, development of technical proposals, concept notes, and expressions of interest to grow the portfolio of programs in line with the CNRW strategy.
- Will perform client management, project management, technical assistance, and proposal roles as defined within IDG’s established project management structures, providing project management support to the portfolio of projects.
- Contribute to other business development activities which will include capture, partner identification and proposal leadership.
- Perform technical program, management, support, and technical assistance, this may include field-based short-term technical assistance.
- Support programmatic strategies and activities within the water sector, including climate change and natural resources management technical areas, including contributing to the development of technical approaches and tools.
- Collaborate with key sector partners, donors, consultants, host country counterparts and stakeholders.
- Collaborate with colleagues across RTI on technical, administrative, and strategic planning initiatives.
- Contribute to communications strategies, events and project abstracts, briefs, impact summaries and success stories.
- Contribute to technical developments in CNRW technical areas.
- Contribute to the development of published technical articles, papers, reports in technical area.
- Contribute to presentations, seminars, and workshops on international economic development topics.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 18 years of experience, or Master’s degree and 14 years of experience, or PhD and 10years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven experience leading high-quality proposals, managing multiple USAID projects, technical assistance, and support to international development programs in the WASH and water sector preferably with a mix of field-based technical implementation experience and program management; experience with other donor programs is a plus.
- Experience supporting the development of technical proposals, such as participating on capture teams, identifying, and securing strong partners, supporting solution development, and writing technical sections for proposals.
- Experience in technical work planning, program management, technical assistance, and technical report writing for water activities.
- Experienced in research, methodologies, innovations, emerging trends, and technologies in water sector.
- Field experience working in developing countries is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including strong relationship management skills across teams, with clients and counterparts.
- Culturally sensitive and respectful. Proven ability to work effectively in cross-cultural teams and a wide variety of operating environments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proficiency in a foreign language, such as French, Spanish and/or Arabic, preferred.