RTI International’s Center for Water Resources (CWR), delivers exceptional services across the spectrum of water resources including river forecasting, water supply modeling, and hydrologic risk analysis. These projects revolve around data management and analysis, hydrologic, hydraulic, and water quality modeling, assessment of impacts on the natural and built environment, and analysis of economic and social outcomes. We are a young and dynamic team that collaboratively and creatively develops solutions to solve the world’s most pressing water resources problems. Our aim is to put the data in the hands of stakeholders through creation of a variety of web and desktop tools based on rigorous hydrological modeling and analysis.
We have an immediate opportunity for a Full-Stack Software Developer to join our small but growing core group of software developers. The successful candidate will work with multidisciplinary teams including software developers, subject matter experts and non-technical staff to support, maintain and enhance existing in-house software as well as contribute to the development of new software products to support CWR projects and initiatives.
The CWR team includes a wide range of backgrounds, interests, and capabilities, but a common thread is our interest to continue learning and push the boundaries of what can be done to support our field. As a non-profit research institute, RTI also offers opportunities for internally funded research and development to help bring great ideas together for on-the-ground applications to help make a difference in the world.
This position will be based in RTP, North Carolina or Fort Collins, CO but telecommuting is possible as well. Please apply if you have expertise related to the above requirements (experience related to all is not necessary) – we will provide specific training to motivated colleagues with the appropriate background and aptitude.
This position is right for you if you:
• Have a good command of software development principles and practices including developing requirements documents, data system architectures, programming, interface design, software documentation, and training.
• Exhibit passion for technology, enjoy working on several projects at the same time, and are energized by building, understanding, maintaining, and troubleshooting complex systems.
• Can be flexible in your project role ranging from leading to collaborating to consulting depending on the project, technology, and lifecycle stage of the software.
• Possess an understanding of and experience with full-stack web application development including databases, web-services, security practices, user interfaces, and user experience design.
• Can demonstrate experience with containerization, cloud computing and deployment, continuous integration/continuous deployment, and application scaling.
• Are proactive and communicate effectively with team members with varying degrees of technical knowledge.
• Are interested in developing software that manages and manipulates environmental data.
• Have a desire to continuously learn new software technologies and techniques.
The candidate should be able to demonstrate experience in many of the following job responsibilities, including some of the specific technologies currently in use within CWR as specified in the parentheses:
• Implementation of water resources data management and decision support systems for projects in the US and around the world
• Database design to support the management of water data including timeseries data, gridded environmental data, and numeric model configuration data (PostgreSQL, PostGIS)
• Design and development of web-services to support modeling, data collection and data visualization objectives (Python, Django, Go, Java, .NET). Go experience is highly desirable.
• Development of front-end web applications to support the collection, dissemination, and visualization of water data to end users (React, Plotly, Leaflet, Material-UI)
• Containerization, deployment, and administration of application components (web services, models-as-a-service) to support cloud-deployment and scaling (Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Azure)
• Experience working with Unix/Linux operating systems
• Understanding of software management lifecycle using git and project tracking tools such as GitHub or JIRA
• Spatial and temporal environmental data processing (Python, GDAL, QGIS)
• Development of internal and external client documentation and providing training for system end-users
Pluses would be (but are not required):
• A scientific background in water resources principles including hydrology, hydraulics, water resources management, floodplain mapping, water quality, and the related data.
• Familiarity with important topics that are part of almost every CWR project including hydrology, hydraulics, statistical analysis, engineering economics, and GIS analysis.
• Spanish language fluency.
• Master degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or in an environmental or engineering discipline with emphasis in software development and 6 years of related experience or a Bachelor’s degree with 8 years of experience.
• A lesser degree can be compensated with more work experience
• To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require now, or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
“Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they can perform every job description task. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may come from a less traditional background. We will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.”
The anticipated pay range for this role is listed below. Our pay ranges represent national averages and may vary by location as a geographic differential may be applied to some locations within the United States.
RTI considers multiple factors when making an offer including, for example: established salary range, internal budget, business needs, and education and years of work experience possessed by the applicant. Further, salary is merely one element to our offer.
At RTI, we demonstrate our commitment to rewarding individual and team achievement through a total rewards package. This package includes (among other things) a competitive base salary, a generous paid time off policy, merit based annual increases, bonus opportunities and a robust recognition program. Other benefits include a competitive range of insurance plans (including health, dental, life, and short-term and long-term disability), access to a retirement savings program such as a 401(k) plan, paid parental leave for mothers and fathers, financial assistance with adoption expenses or infertility treatments, financial reimbursement for education and developmental opportunities, an employee assistance program, and numerous other offerings to support a healthy work-life balance.
- Maximum Salary: $136,000
- Minimum Salary: $110,000