Rural Innovation Strategies, Inc (RISI) is a social enterprise working to advance inclusive economic opportunity and investment in small towns across the country. We are seeking a Communications and Development Specialist who is looking to join a fast growing team committed to shifting the narrative about what’s economically possible in rural America.
Guided by a strong belief in rural ingenuity and small-town potential, RISI and its sister organization, the Center on Rural Innovation (CORI), provide strategic support to rural communities wanting to develop inclusive, resilient digital ecosystems. CORI and RISI’s comprehensive systems approach to digital economy ecosystems involves building a nationwide network of local economic change agents; using mapping and data to highlight rural opportunities; making direct investment in underserved rural entrepreneurs; and closing the digital divide so all Americans can participate in the 21st century digital economy.
The Communications and Development Specialist will play a key role in amplifying both RISI and CORI’s work by producing materials that broaden the conversation about rural America, and helps CORI gain funding to sustain our urgent work at scale. This position is an excellent fit for a creative and motivated individual with an enthusiasm for storytelling, writing, and an eye for detail. The person in this role must also be committed to ensuring our content efforts are fully inclusive, and push back on the narrative that America’s small towns are uniformly white.
The Communications and Development Specialist will:
- Contribute to blog posts, interviews, op-eds, and press releases that highlight the work of RISI and CORI and our diverse partner communities
- Manage CORI’s social media accounts and focus on expanding our reach
- Manage fundraising and contact databases, designing systems to efficiently store and utilize information on CORI’s donors and supporters
- Build and regularly update a library of communication tools to assist RISI and CORI’s leadership in communicating insights to a broad array of audiences, including through graphic design
- Conduct research on donors and funders, identify development prospects, and assist in the preparation of grant proposals
- At least 1-3 years of relevant experience in communications, development, or related field
- Commitment to racial equity, and willingness to apply an equity lens to communications and development work
- Exceptional written and oral communication, with an ability to listen to and communicate with a wide variety of audiences
- Knack for social media and producing content that cuts through the noise
- Comfortable conveying and visualizing complex data and information to a broad audience
- Familiarity with issues related to technology, innovation, entrepreneurship, and economic development
- Graphic design skills are preferred, as are other creative and presentation skills
- Understanding of and commitment to rural communities
- Comfortable working with others on evolving, collaborative projects
- Eager to take charge of projects from start to finish while seeking and receiving feedback in an interactive, constructive process
- Excited to join a fast-paced startup that thinks big, takes risks, and moves quickly
Location: Hartland, VT, area preferred, but willing to negotiate a remote or partially remote arrangement for the right candidate
- Personal and professional development opportunities
- Health Insurance
- Employer matched 401k
- We offer competitive compensation. The salary for this position is $55,000-65,000, depending on experience.
You’ll enjoy working at CORI/RISI if:
- You like strategizing in a converted general store building conference room, over an outdoor beverage, or while grabbing lunch at the new downtown cafe
- You value an entrepreneurial culture that encourages teammates to think boldly, take risks, and learn from experience
- You appreciate an independent work environment that supports diverse work styles and preferences
- You want to be part of collaborative and interested team that finds opportunities to engage each other and have fun (whether in the office or dialing in)
- You like the idea of an open and transparent organization that embraces honest conversations and new ideas
CORI/RISI is an Equal Opportunity Employer—people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. We are interested in your ambitions, personal experiences, great ideas, and passions, and believe that everyone’s unique story and perspective adds value to our organization.
Due to the pace of this search, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
RISI will manage the application and review process using our Workable platform. Please direct all inquiries through this system. We are unable to respond to phone inquiries at this time.