R&D Co-Op – January – June 2022 (Solid State Batteries)
This intern/co-op will work on developing thin film coatings for solid state electrolyte for next-generation all-solid-state-batteries. Primary responsibilities will include (1) synthesizing different inorganic or organic coating materials, (2) developing processes to deposit different inorganic or organic coating materials on solid state electrolytes, (3) building small-scale prototype cells to measure electrochemical performance and evaluate the effectiveness of the coatings, (4) planning experiments, documenting results, preparing reports, and presenting findings. The ideal candidate will have strong experience in hands-on lab work. The successful candidate will require excellent written and verbal communication skills and is expected to contribute to the generation of intellectual property.
• Currently enrolled as a student in a MS or PhD program in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Polymer Engineering.
• Have a creative problem-solving mindset with a hands-on approach
• Ability to analyze data and write reports in a clear way
• Possess strong interpersonal and organizational skills
• Work safely and effectively with a diverse R&D team actively supporting a culture of safety
• Previous research/intern experience is a plus
• Previous R&D experience on lithium ion batteries, solid-state electrochemistry, materials chemistry, or interfacial surface science is preferred
• Experience with thin film coating development and characterization is preferred
• Experience with battery electrochemical testing and evaluation is preferred
• Experience with inorganic or polymeric solid state electrolyte is a plus
• Capable of work independently and also work with project teams
• Comfortable with a “hands-on” approach to getting things done
• Ability to clearly and confidently communicate through oral presentations and written reports