This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
What Your Job Will Be Like
Are you passionate about your work? If so, join a dynamic team that modernizes our Nation’s most critical weapon systems to ensure strategic deterrence for America! We are seeking a Computing Infrastructure Engineer to work at the Tonopah Test Range, NV.
Note: This position is not located in Las Vegas, NV.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Perform the full lifecycle management (analysis, design, development, testing, implementation, integration and maintenance) of multi-user information systems including servers, storage, virtual infrastructures, and associated components and subsystems.
- Apply systematic, disciplined, and quantifiable engineering and life cycle management techniques and processes to deliver integrated information systems hardware for mission-enabled or direct mission deployment and production.
- Perform technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure.
- Evaluate, recommend, and may decide hardware and software technologies for hardware system solutions.
- Introduce new computer systems and technologies into current configurations for optimum information systems engineering functionality.
- Collaborate with customers, suppliers, and other domain specialists such as engineering, networking, software and support personnel in the development and integration of new software and hardware systems solutions.
- May program in a scripting language such as VBS, Python, Perl or shell scripting or programming languages such as Java, C or C++.
- May be responsible for hardware systems analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting, repair and recovery, disaster recovery, software installations, systems OS and software applications upgrades and security patches, performance tuning, hardware upgrades and resource optimization, maintenance of user accounts, and training users.
Ability and willingness to work/stay at a remote site location for 3-4 days per week.
Qualifications We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in a relavent discipline, plus (2) years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have a minimum of (4) years experience in a scripting language (e.g. VBS, Python, Perl) and/or a low-level programming language (e.g. Java, C or C++).
- Must have a minimum of (4) years experience in network management, log aggregation and node management.
- Must have a minimum of (2) years experience in directory services (e.g. Active Directory, DNS, LDAP, Kerberos).
- The ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance.
Qualifications We Desire
- Intimate knowledge of Ubuntu (or similar) flavors of Linux.
- Proficiency in Python and C++ scripting/programming languages.
- Knowledge of Cisco network switches and Cisco IOS. Ability to administer and troubleshoot Cisco Core, Distribution, and Access layer switches.
- Familiarity with various network management software and applications.
- Knowledge of VMware Horizon/vSphere virtualization platform software.
About Our Team
Department 7235 is charged with the operation of the Tonopah Test Range (TTR). The Range team is responsible for planning and executing the Flight Test portion of the Stockpile Surveillance program. Additionally, a requirement exists to plan and execute tests in support of other Federal Agencies.
- TTR normally works two types of duty schedules–a compressed 3-day schedule and a 4 x 10, with modifications to duty schedule length to fit mission requirements.
- Residency is flexible, and TTR has personnel residing in the Las Vegas, Reno, and Tonopah areas, but most live within a 4 hr drive to the site.
- Sandia provides the means of range access if traveling from our assembly point in Las Vegas (GSA vehicles).
- There are recreation, fitness, and social facilities on site available for use.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.