What Your Job Will Be Like
As climate security becomes a higher priority, we are seeking a results oriented Mathematics Statistician with expertise or interest in earth science applications. The successful applicant will contribute to our interdisciplinary research and help to address novel technical challenges. Potential areas of application may include atmospheric sciences, geoscience and climate sciences to name a few.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Perform as part of a technical team conducting creative statistical research
- Develop advanced research ideas and craft those into original research proposals
- Publish outstanding new developments in peer-reviewed journals and present results at conference meetings
- Collaborate with a diverse and interdisciplinary collection of colleagues and sponsors
Qualifications We Require
- Masters in Statistics or closely related field plus one year related experience or Ph.D. in stated field
- Familiarity with statistical programming languages (e.g. R, MATLAB, Python, and SAS)
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with spatial and temporal data
- Publication record commensurate to research expertise
- Strong interest in or proven capacity to team in an interdisciplinary R&D environment
- Experience or interest in developing statistical models for the earth sciences
- Research experience in spatial or spatio-temporal statistics
- Proficiency with varied communication methods, including oral presentations, preparation of high-impact visual presentations, experience presenting technical research, written reports, and the ability to clearly and concisely communicate
- Familiarity with a low-level programming language (e.g. C, C++)
- Experience collaborating with scientists from a diverse set of backgrounds
- Proven experience acquiring, preparing, and analyzing real world data
About Our Team
We provide innovative statistical solutions to help tackle the most complicated national security problems and are leaders in the advancement of statistical techniques for national defense applications. Through research, collaboration, and education we inform the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data to help Sandia execute its missions. Statisticians within the department participate as collaborators, principal investigators, and consultants in a wide range of activities that extend across and outside the Laboratories. The activities include project participation (via statistical analysis and methodology development), applied research and development, instructing, and publishing. Areas of emphasis include probabilistic modeling and computer simulation, Bayesian statistics, spatial statistics and data analysis, functional data analysis, machine learning, reliability and maintainability analysis, and uncertainty analysis.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.