Communications and Press Assistant
Save the Harbor is a dynamic and successful nonprofit Boston Harbor advocacy organization made up of thousands of people from across the region. Save the Harbor led the effort to create the Boston Harbor Islands National Park and transformed South Boston’s beaches into the cleanest urban beaches in the United States. None of this would be possible without dedicated community members, partners, full- and part-time staff, and interns.
Save the Harbor/Save the Bay is seeking a Communications and Press Assistant to support in maintaining our digital and social media presence, as well as assisting in the communication to our stakeholders, program participants, and community members. This position is for a self-motivated individual with an interest in communications, social media, community engagement, and Press. Under the direction of the Community Engagement Manager and Director of Strategy & Communications, the Communications and Press Assistant will support the daily communications for the office.
Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support the Save the Harbor/Save the Bay by writing and developing content for marketing and advertising.
- Assist with drafting media advisories, press releases, and responses to press inquiries.
- Draft website, blog, and newsletter content.
- Create social media campaigns & toolkits.
- Update the press section on Save the Harbor’s website and on our online database
- Research and develop press contact databases.
- Reach out to partner organizations and local non-profits to promote our programs
- Review social media analytics and create plans to increase engagement and online presence.
- Attend and support Save the Harbor/Save the Bay digital events.
Skills & Knowledge Desired – Minimum Entrance Requirements:
- Experience with social media and familiarity with traditional media
- Excellent interpersonal, writing and verbal skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to exercise good judgment and work on multiple projects simultaneously, while maintaining attention to detail
- Dependability and flexibility
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Google Docs
- Interest in nonprofit organizations and the mission of Save the Harbor/Save the Bay
- Science background is not required, though an interest in science as it relates to Boston Harbor is a plus
- Proficiency in Spanish, Haitian Creole, Mandarin and/or Cape Verdean Creole preferred, but not required.
• Position Timeline: April 2021-September 2021
, with potential for extension based on work performance
• Hours: 12-16 hours per week
• Some weekends may be required
Save the Harbor/Save the Bay expects applicants to be able to commit 12-16 hours per week to the organization, with occasional evening and/or weekend events. We are flexible on scheduling around classes and other such obligations.
How to Apply
Please email a resume and writing sample to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with Communications and Press Assistant in the subject line. We strongly encourage applications from folks who are from Boston, people of color, women, and LGBTQ+ individuals.