Summary of Position
The Children & Youth Division at Search for Common Ground seeks a full-time or part-time Youth, Peace and Security Inten for Fall 2021 to provide support for the Children and Youth division’s youth advocacy and fundraising efforts.
The Youth, Peace and Security Intern will assist the world’s largest dedicated peacebuilding NGO in shaping Youth, Peace and Security Coalition’s communications, meetings, and advocacy strategies as well as doing research on fundraising opportunities for Youth, Peace and Security advocacy and supporting grant drafting. As the Youth, Peace and Security intern, you will be working closely with the core team of advocacy experts that are a part of the U.S. Youth, Peace and Security Coalition and the CY team.
If you are a student and would like to earn course credit from your internship, we are willing to work with you to develop a comprehensive workload that is relevant to your field of study and professional interests.
We want our interns to make the most of this experience. To this end, we ask every intern to develop a set of strategic learning objectives at the beginning of their internship with their supervisor, outlining their key learning and professional needs. Search for Common Ground’s staff will work with you to ensure assignments are relevant to these learning objectives, and that you continue to grow throughout your internship.
**Please note that this internship will be completely remote due to COVID-19 restrictions**
- Support management of the U.S. Youth, Peace and Security Coalition, including coordinating and facilitating meetings, managing advocacy initiatives, and promoting youth engagement through social media
- Create ambitious advocacy and communication strategies for the U.S. Youth, Peace and Security agenda
- Brainstorm on expansion of the U.S. Youth, Peace and Security agenda in the U.S. Conflict context
- Assist with researching fundraising opportunities for Youth, Peace and Security Advocacy
- Draft and edit fundraising proposals for Youth, Peace and Security Advocacy
- Provide logistical support
- Perform general administrative tasks as needed
- Attend events (virtually) to increase knowledge of peacebuilding and provide memo reports on said events
- Develop social media posts, stories, and tweets on a regular basis
- Current student or recent graduate in Nonprofit Management, Conflict Studies, Political Science, Marketing, Communications, or a related field.
- Marketing and/or communications, social media engagement, graphic design. Experience with social media campaigns, fundraising, and youth activism
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills and the ability to draft, edit, and proofread;
- Excellent research skills;
- Excellent computer skills (including Word and various Web 2.0 tools);
- Skills with graphic design on Canva, Piktochart, and other design software;
- Ability to strategically use various social media platforms including, but not limited to, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tiktok, and Reddit;
- Proactive attitude and ability to work independently and in a team;
- Interest in nonprofit marketing or communications;
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills;
- Creative and thorough approach to work;
- Positive attitude and willingness to represent Search at professional events; and
- Excellent cross-communication skills.
Salary: This is an unpaid internship
This application will close on October 29, 2021
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities. Please submit your CV and one writing sample.
Please apply via our website with the link provided.