About the Community Scholars Program
This crash-course-meets-community program has been uniquely designed for college students who are looking for industry deep-dives, professional development, job search training, and individual mentorship to jumpstart careers dedicated to social change. Whether you’re just exploring or narrowed in on exactly what you want, this is the place to jumpstart your social impact career development. The summer 2021 program is open to incoming seniors from any US college or university.
The program is rooted in professional skill development, industry exploration, and community building. During the Community Scholar’s summer, you’ll receive:
- Rigorous professional development training and support
- Mentorship from social impact professionals with deep industry knowledge
- Job-search support to launch an impact career post-graduation
- Community of like-minded peers for support during senior year and beyond
For full details, and more information about our paid summer program–the Second Day Impact Fellowship–visit: https://www.secondday.org/become-a-fellow
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
The program is competitive, but Second Day looks for skills and experiences that are different than many fellowships. Rather than just GPA or a long-list of internships, they look closely at lived-experience, soft skills, and a holistic view of prior work experience. In particular, they prioritize students with these three characteristics:
- Humility and lived experience to truly understand the nuances of societal challenges and what has been tried before
- Ambition, vision, and courage to question the way things have been done and bring new ideas to the table
- Optimism, grit, and a track record of getting things done
- The program is geared towards current college seniors, but we know COVID has led to unconventional timelines. If you are on a different timeline but still interested, shoot us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can discuss
- Students are eligible to apply whether they are full-time, part-time, or taking a gap-semester as long as their graduation timeline aligns with the above requirements
- Participants should be available for required kick-off boot camps the weekend before program start-dates (details below)
APPLICATION DETAILS + TIMELINE
The deadline is midnight on April 26. The application process will follow the following key steps:
- Initial application: You submit an application including some basic information on you, your resume, and three quick video interview questions.
- Round Two: 30-minute interview with the Second Day team.
- Selection: Finalists will be announced May 21st, with the program starting June 7th
HOW DO I LEARN MORE ABOUT THE PROGRAM?
We have an upcoming webinars on April 11th (8 pm CST). You can RSVP here to receive the link.
If you have a few specific questions, you are welcome to schedule a 15 minute coffee chat here or send an email to email@example.com