About the Impact Fellowship
The Second Day Impact Fellowship is designed to prepare accomplished and impact-driven young people for the unique opportunities and challenges of fighting for social change. Our program is rooted in professional skill development, industry exploration, and community building. All fellows complete a part-time work placement and receive extensive training, coaching, and support to equip them to take on exciting, full-time roles in social impact on graduation. The fall 2021 program is open to incoming seniors from any US college or university.
The program is rooted in professional skill development, industry exploration, and community building. During the Impact Fellow’s summer, they receive:
- Paid work experience at a nonprofit or social enterprise
- Rigorous professional development training and support
- Mentorship from social impact professionals with deep industry knowledge
- Job-search support to launch an impact career post-graduation
- Community of like-minded peers for support during senior year and beyond
For full details, and more information about our unpaid summer program–the Community Scholars Program–visit: https://www.secondday.org/become-a-fellow
HOUSTON VS. NATION-WIDE
- Houston-based students: This fall, we are launching Second Day: Houston, our first city-based cohort. We will match Houston Impact Fellows with Houston-based mentors, internships, and events. Weekly sessions will be held in a hybrid fashion; once a month there will be an in-person meet up. All deadlines and application details remain the same, but please indicate that you would like to be considered for the Houston program. For more details, see here.
- Nation-wide students: All students NOT based in Houston will join our national cohort, which is fully remote.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
The program is quite competitive, but Second Day looks for skills and experiences that are different than many fellowships. Rather than just GPA or a long-list of internships, they look closely at lived-experience, soft skills, and a holistic view of prior work experience. In particular, they prioritize students with these three characteristics:
- Humility and lived experience to truly understand the nuances of societal challenges and what has been tried before
- Ambition, vision, and courage to question the way things have been done and bring new ideas to the table
- Optimism, grit, and a track record of getting things done
- The program is geared towards current college seniors, but we know COVID has led to unconventional timelines. If you are on a different timeline but still interested, shoot us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can discuss
- We are accepting applications from anyone who is graduating from December 2021 to December 2022 (with priority given to May 2022 grads)
- Students are eligible to apply whether they are full-time, part-time, or taking a gap-semester as long as their graduation timeline aligns with the above requirements
- Participants should be available for required kick-off boot camps the weekend before program start-dates (details below)
- Students must be based in the Greater Houston Area if interested in participating in the Second Day: Houston cohort
APPLICATION DETAILS + TIMELINE
The deadline is midnight on August 22. The application process will follow three key steps:
- Initial application: You submit an application including some basic information on you, your resume, and three quick video interview questions.
- Semi-finalist: If selected as a semi-finalist, you’ll have 48 hours to complete a short work sample, to rank your preferences among the available work experiences, and to sign up for a short interview.
- Endorsed finalist: We will forward on a select group of endorsed finalists to do an interview with 1-2 employer partners. Endorsed finalists will have until September 15th to decide on their offer, with training and work experience beginning on September 27th.
HOW DO I LEARN MORE ABOUT THE PROGRAM?
We have an upcoming webinars on August 8th (8 pm CST). You can RSVP here to receive the link.
If you have a few specific questions, you are welcome to send an email to email@example.com