As a Conflicts Attorney, you will manage ethical and business risks presented by potential new business opportunities for an Am Law 100 firm. Based on your training and experience, you will analyze conflicts search reports to identify potential conflicts of interest with potential new business and in some instances with prior and potential new business for lateral hires. You will work independently with attorneys across the Firm to detect conflicts and resolve them, where possible, within the guidelines of prevailing ethical rules and Firm policies and procedures.
On any given day, you will be working with Firm leadership, partners, and business colleagues on a variety of requests and projects. You will:
- Analyze conflicts search results, identify potential ethical and business conflicts, and propose resolutions.
- Review and analyze terms of engagement and outside counsel guidelines as part of the conflicts analysis process.
- Produce written summaries of conflicts issues and document rationale for all final conflict resolutions.
- Communicate directly with appropriate Firm attorneys and Firm General Counsel in order to facilitate the conflicts clearance process.
- Obtain conflict waivers from Firm attorneys as necessary to clear conflicts under prevailing ethical rules and Firm policies. Review all waivers for validity and conditions requiring further action under Firm policy.
- Upon confirmation of need, establish ethical walls to screen individuals from particular clients and matters as part of the conflict clearing process.
- Independently manage workload to ensure prompt responsiveness to pending conflicts requests.
- Educate Firm attorneys on Firm policies and procedures relating to the conflicts clearing process.
- Complete other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctor degree.
- Bar admission in good standing in any US state or the District of Columbia.
- Minimum of two years of conflicts experience in a large law firm environment, preferred.
- Additional legal practice experience, preferred.
- Knowledge of common business structures.
- Experience utilizing a conflicts database and related conflicts checking software, preferably Intapp Open.
- Experience using commercial databases of corporate affiliations, such as Hoovers, Dun & Bradstreet, and Capital IQ and with other online reference materials.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Explorer and Outlook).
- Ability to think critically and read for detail, while regularly reviewing large volumes of information under time pressure.
- Skills in issue spotting, follow-up, and resolution.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment to make sound risk management decisions based on the results of conflicts searches, ethical rules, and Firm policies
- Ability to learn, follow, and explain workflow processes of various departments.
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication skills.
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
Seyfarth provides competitive salary and benefits at all levels, and our culture embraces the entrepreneurial spirit of its professionals like no other firm. Our allied professionals are a collaborative team, helping to define the unique client experience offered by the firm. We understand that it takes more than attorneys to build a successful legal practice; everyone participates in our commitment to excellence.
We are also proud to be an influential leader in inclusion and diversity. The firm has been recognized for our efforts by the Human Rights Campaign and the Minority Corporate Counsel Association. We are Mansfield 2.0 certified, a reflection of our ongoing commitment to advancing candidates from underrepresented groups.
MORE ABOUT SEYFARTH:
With more than 900 lawyers across 17 offices, Seyfarth Shaw LLP provides advisory, litigation, and transactional legal services to clients worldwide. Learn more about The Seyfarth Experience at www.seyfarth.com/careers/.
Seyfarth Shaw is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
To achieve our goal of equal opportunity, Seyfarth Shaw maintains an affirmative action plan through which it makes good faith efforts to recruit, hire and advance in employment qualified minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster through the following link: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
Seyfarth is an EO Employer –M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
It is an essential job requirement to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for this role. If you need an accommodation of any kind for religious or disability reasons, including related to this job requirement, please contact Human Resources.
This position is based in Atlanta, GA 30309
This position is based in Boston, MA 02210
This position is based in Charlotte, NC 28202
This position is based in Chicago, IL 60606
This position is based in Houston, TX 77002
This position is based in Los Angeles, CA 90067
This position is based in Los Angeles, CA 90017
This position is based in New York, NY 10018
This position is based in Sacramento, CA 95814
This position is based in San Francisco, CA 94105
This position is based in Seattle, WA 98104
This position is based in Washington, DC 20001
This position can also be based in: