At Seyfarth, we understand that great people are the key to our success, and we provide the opportunities to match. If you join us, you’ll work with state-of-the-art technology in a friendly and professional environment, and we will continue to invest in your professional development. If you want the freedom to grow at a firm that is invested in your future, keep reading.
As a labor & employment/litigation paralegal you will work closely with attorneys to serve clients in multiple functions across various areas of litigation and labor & employment law.
On any given day, you will:
- Assist with all aspects of discovery, including organizing documents, maintaining electronic databases and coordinating document productions, Bates-stamping, redaction, duplication and indexing of documents. Position will work with Practice Support and e-Discovery groups on electronic productions. As directed, categorize documents by subject matter, prepare chronologies, create key document files.
- Conduct factual research, including performing initial case assessments and document searches; creating and maintaining internal case databases; running searches on internal and external document databases and systems, as needed; culling relevant information from a variety of resources such as newspapers, magazines, libraries, case documents and trade associations. Research various aspects of the case for purposes of discovery, including requesting admissions and production, and factual legal research.
- Draft various initial pleadings, including answers, document requests and responses, interrogatories and other discovery, summons and affidavits.
- Prepare witness and matter materials for case preparation. Organize interview memos, digests and other relevant documents for attorney review and case preparation. Locate and interview witnesses, and assist in preparing selected witnesses for trial.
- Assist attorneys in preparation for depositions, gather and prepare documents, organize exhibits, take notes and handle exhibits during the deposition, digest transcripts.
- Assist with hearing and motion practice, including assembling all relevant documents, proofreading papers, organizing exhibits and creating document indices in the preparation of motion filing.
- File all pleading and documents with courts and agencies, including organizing briefs, exhibits and appendices as well as ensuring proper compliance with notification rules, distribution of files and courtesy copies.
- Identifying and contacting experts who may help in a case.
- Assist with trial preparation and trials. Organize exhibits, files and all other supporting documents, coordinate trial set-up and logistics. As requested, assist attorneys in the courtroom by taking notes, handling exhibits, and marking documents referred to by counsel. Operate trial support software.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or Paralegal Certificate required.
- 0-1 year of legal experience
- Ability to learn internal firm related client technologies, software and web-sites; manage and maintain clients sites, group collaboration sites and calendaring sites; and, contribute to improving functionality of technology.
- Exceptional organizational and investigative skills; a self-starter; highly motivated; adaptable; flexible; detail-oriented worker; able to prioritize deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, including listening skills, and writing skills.
- Strong ability to work independently and follow-through on projects with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work well under pressure and remain flexible to changing priorities.
- Flexibility to work beyond standard business hours.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- High level of experience with all Microsoft Office programs.
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
Seyfarth provides competitive salary and benefits at all levels, and our culture embraces the entrepreneurial spirit of its professionals like no other firm. Our allied professionals are a collaborative team, helping to define the unique client experience offered by the firm. We understand that it takes more than attorneys to build a successful legal practice; everyone participates in our commitment to excellence.
We are also proud to be an influential leader in inclusion and diversity. The firm has been recognized for our efforts by the Human Rights Campaign and the Minority Corporate Counsel Association. We are Mansfield 2.0 certified, a reflection of our ongoing commitment to advancing candidates from underrepresented groups.
MORE ABOUT SEYFARTH:
With more than 900 lawyers across 17 offices, Seyfarth Shaw LLP provides advisory, litigation, and transactional legal services to clients worldwide. Learn more about The Seyfarth Experience at www.seyfarth.com/careers/.
Seyfarth Shaw is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
To achieve our goal of equal opportunity, Seyfarth Shaw maintains an affirmative action plan through which it makes good faith efforts to recruit, hire and advance in employment qualified minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster through the followinglink:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
Seyfarth is an EO Employer –M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
This position is based in Boston, MA 02210