Function: Legal Support
Job Title: Junior Litigation Paralegal
The Junior Litigation Paralegal will support the firm’s Commercial Litigation department and attorneys in all aspects of litigation, from discovery to trial. This is a great role for a recent college graduate interested in pursuing a career in Law. This position reports to the Senior Litigation Paralegal.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
General Paralegal Duties:
- Manage electronically stored information on a variety of platforms based on size of e-discovery
- Coordinate document productions
- Prepare for and attend trial
- Prepare for and attend depositions
- Assist in the preparation and service of complaint packages, motions, responses, briefs, and various other court filings
- Draft and coordinate the service of subpoenas
- Prepare tables of contents, cite check, and blue book
- Research expert witnesses
- Assist in the preparation of expert reports
- Work with Director of Operations and IT Consultants regarding logistics for staging in-house and off site trials
General Litigation Support Duties:
- Work with external providers of litigation support services and technology; assist the Senior Litigation Paralegal in the planning and estimate the cost of new products, feasible upgrades, and alternatives
- Responsible for all day-to-day litigation paralegal support services and other activities and initiatives as the position requires
- Assist and prepare for trial
- Maintain internal charts, memos and check lists to ensure completion of tasks
- Support the Corporate Department when there is a need
- Communicate with Corporation Service Company to order documents such as Lien Searches and Certificates of Good Standing to prepare for closings
- Draft and file annual reports with the Secretary of State
- Perform routine federal litigation and bankruptcy searches via PACER
- Assist with end-of-year filings
Education and/or Experience:
- Completion of a B.A./B.S. degree
Skill Set and Abilities:
- Reading and Writing: Ability to read and comprehend instructions, complex documents, correspondence and memos. Ability to write complex correspondence and to effectively present information in various situations.
- Strong knowledge of computer operation, spreadsheet software and word processing software required.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills: Demonstrates effective teamwork, communication and prioritizes and anticipates work needs. Must be able to work well under occasional periods of pressure and short deadlines.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints. Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail when evaluating legal matters.
- Ability to proofread typed material for contextual, grammatical, typographical or spelling errors.
- Ability to travel to private and public buildings, locally and statewide, via private or public conveyance to assist attorneys in attending to client needs on legal matters.