Remote Electrical Engineer Power System Studies – Midwest (Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Missouri)
This position would allow work from home, supporting the Cedar Rapids, Iowa engineering team. Typical activities would include communicating with customers, traveling to customer locations around the Midwest. Performing various engineering studies and designs for customers. A large component of the work would be arc flash analysis projects. Other projects would include substation design, relay replacement design, system upgrades, power quality analysis and generator control design. There is a strong support team and this position would require several weeks of training at the Cedar Rapids office. Opportunities to grow, learn and advance in the electrical engineering field.
Why Work for Shermco?
- Shermco is an exceptionally stable and profitable non-union company.
- Seven-time recipient of Best Places to Work award by the Austin & Dallas Business Journals.
- Competitive compensation package including full benefits, 401 with employer match, vacation and overtime pay when traveling on billable projects.
- Opportunities to support field projects.
- Ability to work with customer and team to manage own schedule.
- A growth-oriented environment that is upbeat, good morale and team oriented.
- Industry-leading electrical and safety training.
Job Responsibilities and Expectations:
Work under a Professional Engineer (PE) to perform electrical engineering studies. We are looking for engineers that are willing to be hands on with our engineering and field service group.
Job Responsibilities may include:
- Provide engineering related design, analysis and studies for domestic and international projects.
- Perform power factor analysis and correction, harmonic modeling and analysis, and grounding analysis.
- Conduct short-circuit, protective device coordination and arc-flash studies.
- Interact with customers to gather critical information and review engineering plans.
- Design and troubleshoot protective relaying and controls.
- Occasionally work with our Field Services team on shut-down, startup, installation and maintenance projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Willingness to be hands and work in the field alongside our field technicians.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Must be able to clearly communicate in English via verbal and written methods, and effectively communicate directly to customers and co-workers.
- Prefer educational focus in Power Systems studies.
- Prefer candidate who have passed the FE Exam.
- Professional Engineer (PE) license a plus or working towards obtaining.
- Experience performing protective relay projects a plus.
- Experience in short-circuit, protective device coordination, arc-flash and power quality studies a plus.
- Experience using SKM, ETAP, ASPEN, EasyPower, or other power system modeling software a plus.
- Utility design experience a plus.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and periodic, unannounced random drug tests.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- All offers are conditioned on acceptable results from a background check and drug and alcohol screening
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, climb ladders, stand for extended periods, drive regularly, with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Must be able to pass a fit for duty physical exam.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, and currently have and be able to maintain a good driving record.
- Adequate remote workspace including high speed internet
- Travel will require either individual to rent a car or provide own with reimbursable mileage.
- Strong communication, follow-through, and self-motivation.
- Ability to work alone and complete work.
- Ability to work safely around medium and high voltages, after completion of required safety trainings.
- Available to travel 25 – 40% of the time
- Must be able to fluently read, write, and speak English.