About: Maternova is a pioneering global health venture focused on saving maternal and newborn lives around the world through a novel online platform for commercializing health technologies (current finalist for the Katerva Global Sustainability Prize, prior finalist for Cartier Women’s Initiative). This award-winning venture seeks to continue to add medical devices, diagnostics and pharmaceuticals and reach new emerging markets and to build its brand by being known for quality, customer service, and domain expertise.
Compensation: For academic credit
Start Date: May 2021
Duration: 3 months and up
Schedule: 12-20 hours per week
The Business Consultant intern will be directly involved in a growing startup e-commerce business with a strong social mission. The intern will work with the CEO and Chief Strategy Officer to do the following:
1) learn how to research the comparative advantage of certain new medical devices and diagnostics, tracking innovative startup technology companies in this space and using Maternova criteria to learn how to screen potential partnerships.
2) learn how to research and compare market entry strategies in different regions of emerging markets where the company is not yet selling.
3) learn how the team refine the e-commerce platform offerings to balance quality control, range of products, and automation with a customer-friendly approach.
4) take part in ongoing fundraising pitches.
5) work with the CEO and CFO on social enterprise startup methods for refining operations, shipping, and fulfillment processes.
All of the aforementioned tasks will directly contribute to the mission of the company—to get low cost, high-quality medical innovations into the hands of those providing clinical care around the world, building a sustainable, scalable business to reach more customers, more quickly. The brand of Maternova has been built over the last decade has come to be synonymous with quality, innovation, domain expertise in global maternal and newborn health and reliable service.
If the candidate speaks another language fluently (esp. French or Spanish or Portuguese) this is an added attribute for the position.
Qualifications and Requirements:
· Excellent verbal, investigative and written communication skills in English.
· Strong interest in being part of a startup team.
· Prior experience of healthcare products business development/marketing preferred.
· Strong public health and global health knowledge.
· Self-reliant market research skills.
· Prior experience in LATAM or African markets preferable; experience living or growing up in an emerging or developing market.
· Good data interpretation and web designing skills.
· Graduate-level business or management student or recent graduate is the best fit.
· Extremely strong work ethic and time management skills are essential.
· The intern will have direct hands-on experience in a growing startup team.
· The intern will learn about strategy, operations, marketing, sales, and fundraising in a fast-paced startup environment.
· The intern will improve communication skills working with a team and learning how to chart out a strategy, execute the strategy, and evaluate results.