Paid Student Internship
Benefits Eligible: No
Pay: Hourly $10 – $12
Line Manager: TBD
Department: Data Science
Status: Part-time (20 hrs/wk)
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.
The Sorenson Impact Center (SIC) at the University of Utah David Eccles School of Business envisions a thriving world where all people are valued, communities prosper, and the measured impact of our actions guides decision making. The Center advances global impact through innovation in impact investing and finance, public policy and government spending, and corporate and social sector behavior with organizations across the globe, and utilizes world-class data science, impact storytelling and collaboration as key tools. As part of its mission to train future impact leaders, the Center integrates academic programming and experiential learning into each of its practice areas.To learn more about the Center and apply to the Student program, please visit https://www.sorensonimpact.com/student-program.
Data Science student interns at the Sorenson Impact Center will take a more computational- and infrastructure-centric approach starting spring 2021. Consequently, we are open to applicants with an interest in data science but may not have been indoctrinated in a curriculum specific to data science studies. We encourage those with sound fundamentals in probability and statistics, programming, computer technology, engineering math, or have shown the ability to conduct quality research or developmental work in a quantitative field to apply.
Our intention is to build upon your outstanding knowledge and skill-set and put them to use in applying data science to problems. Currently, the Data Science team is focusing on building out a core computational (cloud-centric) infrastructure as well as deepening capabilities in impact investing, impact finance, and post-secondary educational ecosystem. Data science student interns work alongside the data science team and will gain an appreciation of how your abilities can contribute to the data science endeavor, learn new skills and concepts, and discover your place in this vast and unfolding field. Interns have the opportunity to engage with real-world clients while building their skills and portfolio.
This is a fast paced, constantly changing environment with new projects starting frequently (watch a short YouTube video to learn more about what we do). We look for highly motivated self-starters who fit the criteria below.
This position requires the skills and experience in the following areas:
● Be proactive, innovative, and resourceful
● Demonstrate a “solutions-oriented” problem solver mentality
- Able to communicate complex information in a clear and understandable manner
- Have a curiosity approach and open to learn new methods
- Show ownership and mature responsibility
● Applicants must be proficient in R or Python, including familiarity with the tidyverse family of packages or Pandas. Experience with Apache Arrow or Streamlit would be welcomed
● Have at least a basic understanding of probability and/or statistical analysis
Additional experience and knowledge that is highly valuable to the role:
● Familiarity with building interactive data visualization applications (i.e. Shiny dashboard)
The dynamic nature of work means the student experience becomes more valuable with deeper levels of engagement. To facilitate this experience, student interns are expected to commit to working 20 hours per week for a minimum of two semesters (continuation beyond the first semester is dependent upon meeting the appropriate level of performance).
The Sorenson Impact Center strongly encourages diverse applicants (please circulate widely), especially those who self-identify as Black, Native or Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQIA+, non-binary, living with disabilities, neurodivergent, young, speak English as a second language, and others from overlooked / underestimated communities.
* Due to legal restrictions regarding student employment under certain Visa statuses, Sorenson Impact can not guarantee our ability to pay international students. For international students potentially selected, we commit to working with you and your institution to determine our ability to adequately compensate you for your time and energy. Please reach out with any questions.