Special Olympics is seeking an intern to work virtually on Young Athletes and developmental sport
programming. Special Olympics Young Athletes is a sport and play program for children with and without
intellectual disabilities (ID), ages 2 to 7 years old. Developmental sports is a sports skills program for
children ages 6-12 with and without ID. This intern position will assist with communication of new
resources, materials, and information to the 7 Special Olympics regions. The position offers the chance to
take on meaningful projects and to further one’s professional development through organized skills
training sessions and the work itself. They will have the opportunity to work closely with the members of
the Young Athletes and developmental sports team.
What We Are Looking For:
For this role, we are looking for a creative and motivated team member who is eager to work and to learn
in a dynamic workplace. The ideal candidate will enjoy working independently. Thrive on taking projects
from concept to execution and have the maturity and flexibility to work successfully with a variety of
individuals. Strong creative, writing, and presentation skills are critical.
- Resource Development
- Creation of one-page documents for YA and developmental sport programming
- Development of communications plan with greater team through social media and website updates
- Collaboration with other SO departments (Families, Fitness, etc.) to support content development
- Review and organization of assets that tell the story of Young Athletes and developmental sport
- Review resources shared by formal Young Athletes and developmental sports partners and assist with adapting to a Special Olympics audience
- Support Launch of Youth Coaching Course
- Review final version of eLearning youth coaches’ course for clarity and ease of use
- Create plan to launch tool in 7 Special Olympics regions
- Monitor course usage and completion of data
- Pursuing a degree in communication, public relations, journalism, or related discipline
- Have strong editing and professional writing skills
- Proficient in MS Office, including Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Must be detail-orientated with the ability to handle multiple tasks in a timely and professional manner
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with individuals from a range of cultures and professional backgrounds
- Ability to work well independently.
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Interest in disability, inclusion, and early childhood education.
- Preferred knowledge of Young Athletes, Unified Sports, and the Unified Movement but not
Special Olympics provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.