The Managing Committee (MC) is comprised of STAND’s highest level activists, who oversee the Action Committees, develop national campaigns and programming, and run our outreach efforts. The MC is responsible for looking out for STAND’s long-term future, and making sure we’re effectively working towards our mission to end and prevent genocide and mass atrocities.
We know MC members will vary in skills and interests. Therefore, we encourage you to highlight in your application your leadership experiences, your skills and talents, and any issues we work on that you feel called to contribute to. Some MC members will be facilitating Action Committees and others will be working with the Student Director(s) and Staff to develop communications, policy, outreach, and educational materials. In either type of role, as an MC member, you will be responsible for communicating daily with other MC and Action Committee members via Slack (our team communication platform), attending weekly video calls, regular Action Committee calls, and creating educational and campaign materials, according to committee needs.
We consider these positions to be the equivalent of a part-time internship and expect MC members to prioritize these positions accordingly. In return, and at staff’s discretion, we are happy to provide professional references and recommendations for exceptional team members.
Time Commitment: Approximately 10 hours per week for the duration of the 2021-2022 academic year
All MC members must…
- Attend weekly MC calls and regular Action Committee calls, send weekly progress reports via Slack, and communicate with MC and AC members on a daily basis
- Take part in all advocacy actions
- Contribute to STAND’s organizational fundraising efforts, mobilizing personal and professional networks to raise funds, and inspiring others in their community to do the same, through in-person fundraisers, annual appeals, merchandise sales, and more
Action Committee Leads will…
- Set agenda for and lead monthly Action Committee calls
- In coordination with SD and Staff, lead committee discussions on action/campaign development, create timeline(s) for implementation, and follow up with members to ensure follow through on assigned tasks
- Develop relationships with contacts in your region and/or on your campus to support and advise advocacy efforts, conveying excitement, enthusiasm, and motivation for their work and STAND’s campaigns
Depending on your position, at-large MC members will…
- Education: Draft regular conflict updates, blog posts, and educational materials that committee and grassroots members can use to learn about STAND’s areas of focus and take part in actions
- Policy: Coordinate with partner organizations, analysts, and scholars to inform and develop STAND’s policy stances; advise the MC on potential collaborative actions and sign-on letters from partner organizations
- Communications: Work with the authors of various written pieces (i.e. blog posts, op-eds, website language, campaign materials, etc) to ensure that sources are sound and that there are no grammatical or spelling errors; effectively communicate with authors to ensure changes are made in a timely manner; create graphics and other content for social media
- Outreach: Manage existing and new STAND contacts with chapters, individuals organizing on campuses, and passionate educators; onboard new chapters and provide them with the necessary materials for success; contribute to the creation of outreach newsletter
- Self-starters and self-motivators are a must
- Professional demeanor and ability to represent STAND positively to external partners
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Patience and flexibility
- Strong leadership skills, especially the ability to motivate and hold others accountable
- Background knowledge about STAND’s areas of focus is helpful, but the willingness to develop a strong understanding and learn from others is most important
- Ability to motivate local activists by conveying excitement and enthusiasm about STAND, STAND’s initiatives, and the cause of atrocity prevention