Paralegal – Personal Injury Law
Steven H. Schafer & Associates, LLC, 405 Cochituate Road (Route 30), Suite 305, Framingham, MA 01701. We are a small, boutique, Plaintiffs Personal Injury Law Firm, Martindale Hubbell AV-rated and Best Lawyers in America Best Law Firms-rated.
Convenient Location. We recently opened a MetroWest/Route 128 office just off the Route 30 – Natick/Framingham exit on the Mass Pike.
Full Time (or Part-Time for the right candidate). This position(s) require(s) a presence in the office, although some work could be done remotely.
Experienced Paralegal Position. We have 1 paralegal opening. Ideally candidates would have law firm experience, but we will train the right candidate(s) who have excellent organization skills, writing ability, and desire to learn and excel.
Many recent graduates (an applicant need not be a recent graduate) think they will get the best experience at large firms, although that is not necessarily the case. These positions would be ideal for candidates who are considering law school, hence the following story:
Several years ago a temporary paralegal came to us through a placement agency. The person had graduated from an Ivy League school and had then worked for a Wall Street firm, primarily reviewing documents, which he did not find challenging. He had been accepted to an MSW program at one of the best Boston schools for the next academic year. After several weeks, he approached Mr. Schafer, stating, “I didn’t like the work I was doing in New York, but I like the hands-on work I’m doing here. If I delayed starting the MSW program so that I could take the LSATs and apply to law school, would you have a long-term position for me?” The paralegal went on to law school and is now building a specialized practice. He served as co-counsel with us on a case last year.
Our paralegals work on substantial cases involving medical malpractice, product liability, premises liability, construction site accidents, nursing home negligence and abuse, auto and truck collisions, and wrongful death. We are rebuilding a team of paralegals and associates in view of the pandemic.
Paralegals in our office do not perform “make work” assignments, but work on cases involving people who have suffered real harms and losses and for whom we make a real difference. Paralegals are an integral part of our small team, and contribute significantly to the progress of our cases. Responsibilities include:
- Screening potential clients
- Diarying important dates and other office tasks
- Obtaining, organizing, and summarizing medical records, investigative reports, accident records, and similar documents
- Document management
- Technical and medical research
- Case investigation, sometimes in the office and sometimes in the field
- Drafting discovery responses
- Drafting motions and court filings
- Assisting at depositions and at trial
- Communicating with clients, witnesses, experts, and vendors
· Good computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Google searches, Lexis
· Familiarity with at least one computer case management system (we use TrialWorks), or the ability to learn our case management program
· Familiarity with Rules of Civil Procedure, Discovery, or the ability to learn
· Good writing skills with emphasis on grammar, punctuation, spelling, and proofreading
· Persistence and follow through on assignments and prioritizing deadlines
· Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
· Curiosity and the desire to learn new things
· Willingness to speak up and voice thoughts and opinions
A paralegal certificate is valuable, but not necessarily a requirement. A medical background is a plus. Experience in the field of plaintiffs’ personal injury cases is ideal, but we will consider training someone with the requisite skills and abilities.
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Application Process. Please send cover letter, resume, transcript and writing samples via email or mail to Steven H. Schafer, Esquire. See above address for mail, or email@example.com.