STR is hiring a Hardware Engineer who will leverage their RF, analog/mixed signal and digital design skills to contribute to a multi-disciplinary team engaged in solving unique problems. Candidates should be comfortable analyzing and characterizing a variety of hardware architectures to aid with software and hardware modeling efforts. You will use your hardware expertise to support both software and hardware reverse engineering tasks and will feel comfortable communicating complex system details to an interdisciplinary team.
We seek candidates with previous design experience to aid in developing “Hardware in the Loop” (HWIL) systems, surrogate builds, digital twins, and hardware modeling support platforms that integrate a variety of electrical subsystems from commercial of the shelf (COTS) components to custom board level implementations. The HW Engineer will also contribute to the design process of a growing hardware team by participating in design reviews, producing comprehensive design documentation, and directly collaborating within a team environment to ensure quality outputs and support for future design re-use.
Duties will include:
- Collaborating with software reverse engineers and software modeling teams to enhance knowledge of system hardware architecture and focused processor implementations
- Utilizing hardware simulation tools to implement high fidelity models at the circuit/component level in software
- Developing lab based acquisition and control platforms to aid in test and characterization of hardware systems
- Developing PCB based designs and implement FPGA and embedded software to support HWIL and surrogate design efforts
- Integrating processor/microcontroller debuggers to extract binary data and integrate in circuit probing solutions to characterize dynamic program execution
- Ability to obtain a Top Secret (TS) Security Clearance
- BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field with 5 years of experience (or MS and 3 years)
- Experience in a laboratory environment utilizing diagnostic and lab based test equipment
- Comfortable presenting technical material to customers, other hardware team members, and team members of different disciplines.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Active Top Secret (TS) Security Clearance
- Familiarity with standard mixed signal, digital and RF circuit topologies and experience capturing design using industry standard schematic tools
- In depth knowledge of processor architectures and associated memory and peripheral interfaces
- Experience integrating and exercising processor/microcontroller in circuit debuggers and emulators
- Experience with Analog and RF circuit simulation and modeling tools (Spice, MATLAB/Simulink, Microwave Office, etc.)
- Experience developing diagnostic and acquisition based test platforms using LabVIEW/Labwindows CVI
- Knowledge of PCB design and fabrication principles and familiarity with industry standard CAD tools (Cadence, Altium, Eagle etc.)
- Digital/FPGA HDL experience using dedicated design tools (Vivado, Quartus, Simulink/HDL Coder, etc.)
- Verification experience with industry standard simulation environments (ModelSim, Questa, ISIM etc.)
- Experience debugging and characterizing circuits using standard lab equipment (oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, spectrum analyzers etc.)
- Experience integrating software defined radios and RFSOC platforms