Overview of Suit Up
Founded in 2014, SuitUp is a 501c3 non-profit organization that increases college and career awareness with students from underserved communities. SuitUp organizes virtual and in-person student business competitions for corporate volunteers where employees help students solve a problem for a real company, like creating a new product for Nike or solving a community problem through Snapchat. Since inception, SuitUp has hosted over 200 competitions for companies like Goldman Sachs, NBCUniversal, Snap Inc., Louis Vuitton, and many others, organizing events for over 7,900 volunteers and impacting more than 9,800 students.
SuitUp is seeking Co-Facilitators/ Moderators for our virtual “SuitUp at Home” week-long competitions. Through SuitUp at Home Zoom competitions, middle or high school students will solve a corporate challenge like creating a new product for Nike. The students will be coached by corporate volunteers who will help them with the marketing, strategy, financing, and design before creating a “Shark Tank”-like pitch that will be filmed and played for judges for a cash prize.
Co-Facilitators are responsible for the technical assistance and operational management of the competition. Co-Facilitators will work in tandem with the Host Facilitator. Both are responsible for the success of each session. Facilitators are responsible for collecting pictures, quotes, and summarizing each session via Google Form to the SuitUp programs team. Summaries describe what happened during the session, screenshots of teams working together, quotes from students and volunteers, attendance, action items, areas for concern, celebrations, screenshots of working sessions, etc.
While a SuitUp Host Facilitator and Co-Facilitator will lead the entire event, Moderators will be placed in a Zoom breakout room with one of four groups of 5-10 students and 3-8 corporate volunteers. Moderators will lead their specific team through the week-long competition, focusing on corporate coach/student relationships, time management, asking questions, prompting ideas, etc.
The SuitUp at Home virtual competition traditionally spans one week, Monday to Friday, with either a 10AM, 1PM or 3 PM Eastern start times. This includes:
- The Kick Off Session (90 Minutes)
- Office Hours/Feedback Session (90 Minutes)
- Final Presentations (60 minutes)
Applicants will be trained and certified through two (2) 90-minute unpaid training sessions with SuitUp full time staff and then be eligible to sign up for upcoming competitions. This certification is a great resume builder and provides the applicant with experience in corporate facilitation.
Knowledge and Capabilities
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with corporate volunteers (ages 21 to 65) and middle/high school students (ages 12 to 18) in a client-facing role
- Excellent public speaking, communication and presentation skills
- Self-starter with the ability to take initiatives and run with projects independently
- Organized and attentive to details
- Energetic and positive with natural leadership qualities
- A passion for education and increasing career awareness for students in underserved communities
- Strong understanding of technology platforms such as Zoom, Google Hangouts, Google Forms, Gmail, etc. and comfortability using these platforms
- Previous work experience in youth development, education, leading teams, etc. is a plus but not required.
This is an ideal role for a current college student majoring in Educator or a current teacher!
Perks/The Experience You’ll Have/Benefits
The facilitator position allows for an opportunity to:
- Network with SuitUp’s diverse client base, which includes thousands of volunteers from some of the largest companies in the world such as Deloitte, Moody’s, KPMG, Coach, NBCUniversal, and Goldman Sachs
- Join the talented SuitUp team in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Work remotely from the comfort of home and flexible in nature as moderators can sign up for multiple competitions or ones that fit their schedule
- Learn how to facilitate groups of up to 15 through a project from start to finish in a digital setting
- Make a difference in the lives of students from underserved communities across the United States
How to Apply
To apply, please send your resume and answer the following questions. Please send to SuitUp’s Director of Operations, Erica Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Why are you interested in the Co-Facilitator/Moderator position and the organization as a whole?
- Your availability for the next 3-6 months (i.e. free mornings, free afternoons, etc.)