Payroll Assistant (Entry level)
Fully Remote • Atlanta, GA • Payroll
St. George Tanaq Corporation (SGT), an Alaskan Native Corporation (ANC), is committed to serving Federal customers while also giving back to the Tanaq native community and shareholders. SGT is privately owned by Alaska Natives, and stock is not publicly traded.
About the Role
We are seeking an entry level Payroll Assistant to process payroll and handle other accounting duties as needed. This role will assist the Payroll Specialist with payroll for multiple companies.
- Responsible for the preparation and processing of biweekly payroll for multiple companies in different states; review and ensure accuracy of approved time-sheets, payroll transactions, and PTO balances.
- Process biweekly payroll related taxes, medical, garnishments and other deductions.
- Verify that new hire direct deposit and tax forms are completed correctly.
- Process state registrations for new employee locations when needed.
- Assist with Open Enrollment process for employee benefits and benefit communications.
- Prepare biweekly payroll reports as needed.
- Review quarterly and annual payroll tax reports for state and federal filing.
- Respond in a timely manner to all employee issues regarding pay and/or benefit inquiries.
- Provide effective and consistent communication to employees, supervisors, and managers regarding payroll processes.
- Participate with the activities of external auditors: WC, 401(k), and/or Annual Audit.
- Assist the Payroll Specialist, Controller and HR Generalist with other related duties as required and assigned.
Required Experience and Skills
- 1-3 years of payroll experience.
- Excellent skills using MS Word, Excel, and Access.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise extreme discretion in a professional manner.
- Excellent problem solving/judgment skills, and high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Professional demeanor with a positive, solution-seeking attitude and personal responsibility.
- Experience using accounting, payroll, tax and banking systems.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Possess and apply knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within Accounting, Payroll and Human Resources.
- Ability to follow instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
Education and Training
- Associate’s degree in Business, Accounting or similar field.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. May need to lift 25 pounds regularly.
Who We Are
St. George Tanaq strives to deeply understand and analyze our clients’ vision, needs, and requirements so we may provide alternative solutions, empowering them to choose the best resolution. We aim to achieve excellence by delivering on our commitments to our clients, employees, and partners. With 20 years of experience in the industry, SGT has subsidiaries specializing in project and programmatic support, public health, environmental investigation, facility maintenance, IT/technical services, and construction services.
St. George Tanaq Corporation is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and participates in E-Verify. All employment decisions at SGT are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce. Our policies provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under federal, state, or local laws.
To view more job opportunities with us and apply, please visit