About Tech Goes Home
Technology, internet connectivity, and training are critical to empowering students, adults, and seniors with access to the essential services and opportunities provided by the digital world. Tech Goes Home collaborates with individuals, organizations, and institutions to provide all three across Greater Boston, but faces increasing opportunities, and therefore pressure for excellent systems and effective volunteers, to enlarge its scope and scale.
TGH has successfully demonstrated that their model helps students improve their grades, parents engage with teachers, seniors access health care safely and remotely, and the unemployed get and keep better jobs. TGH partners with the community institutions–schools, nonprofits, health centers–whose populations face systemic barriers to technology adoption, and provides the course framework, device, and internet access individuals need to participate in our digital world. Tech Goes Home is among the country’s most effective solutions for closing the digital divide.
The internship primary focus is to help us collect data that helps us learn how we make a difference in our graduates’ lives. The intern will have two main projects during the internship: the annual follow-up survey and video stories from our graduates.
Annual Follow-up Survey: The intern will refine our annual follow-up survey for program graduates, implement the survey, and analyze results. With team input, the intern will update the online survey and to reach a wider group, the intern will call TGH graduates and orally administer the survey. Over 35% of our course graduates identify as Latinx and it is a requirement for the position that this person is able to conduct interviews in Spanish. The intern will write a final report summarizing the data and key findings.
The successful candidate will have experience collecting quantitative and qualitative data through phone and email surveys. In addition, the candidate will have experience collecting a large amount of data and tracking project progression. The project requires independent work while keeping the larger team informed of the project’s progress and any challenges that arise.
Video Stories: The intern will run a campaign to collect video stories from graduates and learners. Videos will be in graduates native language and the intern will be responsible for running the campaign, organizing the videos, and transcribing videos that are in Spanish.
The Research Intern will report to the Program Operations Manager.
Opportunities for you as a TGH Research Intern
- Experience a summer of hands-on survey design, analysis, and operations
- Collect and tell stories about what digital skills mean for our learners
- Work in an environment where you’ll gain project management and collaboration skills that are important in any career
- Combine social science and statistical methods with the practical challenges of day-to-day project implementation
- Ability to conduct phone surveys in Spanish
- Pursuing or recently earned a associate’s, bachelor’s, or master’s degree in the social sciences or data related field
- Experience in creating surveys in platforms like Google Forms, Survey Monkey, or Qualtrics
- Outstanding oral and written communication
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort speaking on the phone
- Experience working for an organization like a university telefund or phone banking for a political candidate a plus
- Training in quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Confidence and can-do attitude; ability to advance projects both independently and as part of a small team
- Conscientiousness and ability to thrive in a team environment
- Video editing skills a plus, but not required
The position will remain open until filled, but we will start reviewing applications on April 30, 2021. Please submit a resume and cover letter, with TGH Research and Media Intern as the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a paid fully remote internship. The intern will work between 30-35 hours per week for 12 weeks and receive a stipend of $4,000 over the course of the internship. We also will consider students looking for a for-credit internship or who have secured funding for an unpaid internship through their academic institutions or another source. Tech Goes Home is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls please.