TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. By linking people to information, capital and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities.
TechnoServe has assisted over 400,000 smallholder coffee households to improve their incomes by increasing the quality of the coffee they produce, boosting their coffee production, and linking them to premium markets. TechnoServe is developing innovative approaches and building relationships with both corporate and public partners to enable more smallholder coffee households to achieve livelihood security.
The Program Analyst’s primary responsibility is to support the implementation of a portfolio of coffee projects in Africa and the Caribbean to achieve operational excellence. The Program Analyst will provide a broad range of support to TechnoServe’s Coffee Practice and field-based program staff to facilitate successful implementation and effective knowledge capture of programs. This position requires a unique combination of skills in operations, knowledge management, and administration.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
Program Operations (50%)
- Lead the coordination, technical writing, and submission of regular progress reports, workplans, decks, and other materials (where required) to donors.
- Liaise with the Country Controllers to develop donor-facing financial reports.
- Support field-based program managers to develop annual bottom-up budgets that align strategically with work plans, targets, and deliverables and regularly conduct review meetings to ensure expenditures are maintained on-budget.
- Manage monthly financial projections and expenditure tracking in coordination with field-based program managers.
- Assist the Coffee Program Manager to develop annual budgets and midyear budget reviews.
- Ensure invoices are submitted accurately and on time and track disbursements as they are paid.
- Deliver support to field-based program managers to conduct procurements of goods and services in accordance with TechnoServe’s procurement policy.
- Lead budget realignment and contract modification processes, as needed.
- Liaise with the finance and grants and contracts departments at HQ and in country offices to improve financial systems and ensure full compliance with donor reporting requirements.
Knowledge Capture and Management (20%)
- Support the development and implementation of an effective knowledge management strategy, including improving knowledge capture mechanisms, file structuring, and cross-functional collaboration among other departments, practices, and regions.
- Support the creation of knowledge products that support internal understanding of the Coffee Practice’s approach as well as new business development efforts, including core funding opportunities.
- Support field-based program managers to develop quarterly Project Status Reports that summarize activities, results, and challenges from the previous quarter.
- Develop fact sheets, blog posts, and other externally facing materials for coffee projects.
- Develop and maintain program development documents including quals and past performance reviews.
New Business Development (20%)
- Lead the creation of cost proposals for new funding opportunities.
- Develop and maintain program development documents including qualifications and past performance reviews.
- Provide editorial review support to the Program Development teams on Coffee-specific proposals.
Coffee Team Administration (10%)
- Regularly solicit feedback from Coffee Practice team members about process and culture improvements.
- Lead the coordination of the Coffee Practice’s annual retreats.
- Support recruitment and contracting of staff, fellows, and interns, as needed.
- Respond to requests related to the Coffee Practice from HQ and other teams.
- Manage the weekly Coffee Practice team calls.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, development, economics, business administration, or other relevant subject and at least three years of related professional experience required, or;
- Master’s degree plus one year experience
- Strong project management skills including the ability to anticipate demand and manage multiple tasks and projects while meeting tight deadlines.
- Strong budget management and financial analysis skills, including proficiency in Excel.
- Previous experience backstopping EU, USDA, and/or USAID-funded projects preferred.
Required Languages: Proficiency in English required. French language skills preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Outstanding written communication skills including prior experience writing and editing donor-facing deliverables.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and passion for identifying gaps and proposing solutions for continuous improvement.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Proven team player with strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
Note: All applicants must have indefinite work eligibility in the U.S. at the time of application.
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe’s vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 202 785 4515.