Only candidates who apply via email to (HR “at” http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/) with an official State of Texas Application or through the WorkInTexas.com website will be considered for this position. View this position and apply by clicking on the green APPLY EXTERNALLY button.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), flexible spending, and flexible work hours so you can have a work/life balance! For more information about these benefits and more visit: http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/benefits.asp
Job Description Summary
Performs moderately complex (journey-level) project management work. Involves planning, directing and coordinating activities of designated Information Technology (IT) projects. Ensures goals of projects are accomplished within prescribed time frame and funding parameters. Secures resource time and coordinates the efforts of team members and/or consultants to deliver projects according to schedule. Defines project objectives and oversees quality control throughout the software development life cycle. Manages project scopes, schedules, and budgets. Plans, assigns and supervises the work of others. May train others. Works under general supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the Manager of the Application Development Department.
Essential Job Functions
- Oversees the development of information technology computer application projects.
- Formulates and defines scope and objectives of project.
- Identifies and schedules project deliverables, milestones, and required tasks.
- Serves as lead in the generation of project requirements.
- Establishes standards for project reporting.
- Maintains project schedules using Project Online.
- Coordinates recruitment and assignment of project team.
- Assigns duties, responsibilities and scope of authority to project team.
- Coordinates and responds to requests for changes from original specifications.
- Maintains technical and project documentation in centralized project repository.
- Prepares project status reports and provides regular updates to management, project teams and others of project status and related issues.
- Monitors project results against technical specifications.
- Directs application/solution testing.
- Obtains customer satisfaction and acceptance testing, and project signoff of completion.
- Leads and participates in project meetings with internal staff and external customers.
- Plans, assigns and supervises the work of others.
- Serves as liaison between business areas and contract providers.
- Coordinates contract agreements.
- Monitors and tracks progress of contract agreements.
- Maintains confidential and sensitive information.
- Ensures individual and team files (electronic and hard versions) are appropriately maintained and timely disposed of in accordance with the agencys records retention procedures and schedule.
- Maintains required certifications and licenses and meets the continuing education needs and requirements of the position to include, attending mandatory training courses.
- May be required to operate a state or personal vehicle for business purposes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in Business Management, Computer Science, Information Science, Information Technology or a related field.
- Three to five years of recent information technology project management experience.
- Relevant education and experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
- Graduate degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Information Technology or related field.
- More than three years of recent information technology project management experience with a State agency or other government organization.
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) or related certification such as SCRUM Master, or the ability to become a certified Project Management Professional (PMP) or receive related certification within one year of employment.
- Experience successfully delivering information technology application and infrastructure projects with a State agency or other government organization.
- Experience working with Microsoft Project Online to maintain project schedules.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to the Application Development Department; and of the principles and practices of public administration.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Project Online for developing and maintaining project schedules.
- Knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Knowledge of Azure DevOps Services, formerly known as Visual Studio Team Services.
- Knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and Reporting Services.
- Knowledge of state contracting rules and procedures.
- Skills in using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Access.
- Skills in use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
- Skills with Windows-based computers.
- Skills in providing excellent customer service both internally and externally.
- Skills in project scheduling including the development of Work Breakdown Structures (WBS).
- Skills in facilitation.
- Skills in leading meetings.
- Skills in decision making and problem solving.
- Skills in the use of Microsoft Project for developing and maintaining project schedules.
- Ability to use the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Ability to work and collaborate with others in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to successfully lead a project team and complete software development projects.
- Ability to prioritize deadlines.
- Ability to adhere to work schedules, follow procedures with respect to leave and submit accurate timesheets by prescribed deadlines.
- Ability to make mature, objective decisions and identify areas of potential problems.
- Ability to perform effectively and willingly when changes occur in scope and nature of the work and work environment.
- Ability to perform routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on-time with little or no supervision.
- Ability to perform assigned duties and improve work habits and/or output.
- Ability to complete assigned work, on time, neatly and with infrequent errors.
- Ability to interpret policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Ability to provide prompt, courteous and accurate assistance and clear and concise communication to internal and external stakeholders both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work and cooperate with others in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to stand/sit/move with no physical limitations or aids to perform activities such as retrieve/replace files in a large file system for boxes up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to operate a vehicle (state or personal) for state business and maintain a drivers license and driving record that complies with state and agency requirements.
- Ability to work days that may exceed 8 hours, including early mornings, nights, and weekends.
- Ability to train others.