Only candidates who apply via email to (HR “at” TWDB.texas.gov) with an official State of Texas Application or through the WorkInTexas.com website will be considered for this position. View this position and apply at https://tinyurl.com/yhjf5eca
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), flexible spending, and flexible work hours so you can have a work/life balance! For more information about these benefits and more visit: http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/benefits.asp
Job Description Summary
Performs complex (journey-level) geographic information system work for the Texas Water Development Boards (TWDB) statewide floodplain mapping program in support of regional and state flood planning and the activities of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Cooperating Technical Partners (CTP) program. Work involves executing technical projects to support floodplain mapping tasks. Work also involves the compilation and documentation of data and source information; application of set processes and standards for mapping; analysis and interpretation of results; writing reports; and providing presentations. Works under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the Manager of the Flood Mapping Department.
Essential Job Functions
- Creates and disseminates floodplain maps and associated data according to agency approved technical standards and procedures.
- Assists in developing technical standards and procedures for floodplain modeling and mapping.
- Performs quality assurance of GIS Data
- Coordinates with federal, state, and local entities to collect engineering and other data in support of floodplain mapping needs.
- Creates geospatial indexes, catalogs, databases, maps, and datasets.
- Writes, reviews, and evaluates scopes of work, memos, reports, work process, and policy documents.
- Provides presentations to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Provides quality customer service from the department to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintains confidential and sensitive information.
- Ensures individual and team files (electronic and hard versions) are appropriately maintained and timely disposed of in accordance with the agencys records retention procedures and schedule.
- Maintains required certifications and licenses and meets the continuing education needs and requirements of the position to include, attending mandatory training courses.
- May be required to operate a state or personal vehicle for business purposes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in Geographic Information Systems Technology, Engineering, Hydrology, Water Resources, Natural/Physical/Environmental Science, or a related field.
- Two years progressive work experience in related field.
- Relevant education and experience can be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
- Experience with ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst, and ModelBuilder.
- Experience with preparing and writing technical reports.
- Experience conducting public presentation and meetings.
- Familiarity with ArcPy or use of Python scripting within the ArcGIS geoprocessing environment to perform geospatial data analysis, data conversion, data management, and automated map and table reports.
- Familiarity working with LiDAR, Digital Elevation Models (DEMs), and geospatial datasets and software
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to floodplain management and of the principles and practices of public administration.
- Knowledge of terminology related to geographic information systems, including legal descriptions, cartography, engineering, construction plans, aerial photography, and orthophotography.
- Skills in reading and interpreting engineering documents, surveys, topographic information, and aerial photography.
- Skills in scientific data management, analysis, and interpretation, especially of geospatial datasets and geodatabases.
- Skills in using applicable programming and/or scripting languages such as Python, etc.
- Skills in working with Lidar and with spatial data analysis software (e.g., ArcGIS, etc.).
- Skills in using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Access.
- Skills in use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
- Ability to adhere to work schedules, follow procedures with respect to leave and submit accurate timesheets by prescribed deadlines.
- Ability to make mature, objective decisions and identify areas of potential problems.
- Ability to perform effectively and willingly when changes occur in scope and nature of the work and work environment.
- Ability to perform routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on-time with little or no supervision.
- Ability to perform assigned duties and improve work habits and/or output.
- Ability to complete assigned work, on time, neatly and with infrequent errors.
- Ability to interpret policies, procedures, and regulations, such as the Code of Federal Regulations and the Texas Water Code.
- Ability to provide prompt, courteous and accurate assistance and clear and concise communication to internal and external stakeholders both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work and cooperate with others in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and schedule work in order to maintain regular progress on assignments and meet deadlines.
- Ability to stand/sit/move with no physical limitations or aids to perform activities such as retrieve/replace files in a large file system for boxes up to 30 lbs.
- Ability and willingness to travel 15% of the time, primarily within the State of Texas.
- Ability to operate a vehicle (state or personal) for state business and maintain a drivers license and driving record that complies with state and agency requirements.
- Ability to work days that may exceed 8 hours, including early mornings, nights, and weekends.
- Ability to train others.